Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Swallows  (Read 10274 times)

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Swallows
« on: August 10, 2016, 05:35:09 am »
Last week at work the swallows left, nearly everyone remarked about it , the opinion was tat possibly they upped sticks because of the up turn in activity.
Yesterday morning as I got ready for work there was a massing of swallows on the steading roof and  power cables so many I couldn't count them , an nice sight. Today .none  :( .they have left and according to the diary one month early. Its very quiet here now .

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Swallows
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 06:39:03 am »
Another sign of a hard winter to go with the amount of berries about. Ooh-ar you have been warned :eyelashes:

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 07:05:00 am »
Quite likely the result of a late arrival meaning they only tried to rear the one brood instead of fitting in a second sitting.  The abundance of berries is due to the growing season and not that to come.  Frosts and wind did not do for the flowers before they set the fruit.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 08:38:13 am »
Down here in Devon our swallows have had two broods successfully fledge. There are many young swallows swooping about in and out of the house, building their strength for the long flight south. Our B and B guests are all highly amused at seeing small swallows sitting on the top of the open garden room doors!

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 08:41:18 am »
The old wives tales came about from a long history of observation of weather patterns. OK there's 'climate change' and those patterns may well be varying.....but...
Oh, and our house martins only raised one brood and left early too.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 09:35:07 am »
Well I thought autumn had arrived so maybe the swallows thought that too!

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 09:48:23 am »
Temperatures are definitely autumnal here - forecast for today max 12, "feels like" temperature 9 degree! This is still supposed to be summer!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 10:42:16 am »
Temperatures are definitely autumnal here - forecast for today max 12, "feels like" temperature 9 degree! This is still supposed to be summer!

I've been in two or three cotton layers for a week (all long-sleeved, one plain, one brushed and one 'fleecey'.)  Just wrapped my woolen shawl around myself in the evenings when it gets chilly.  Only lit the Rayburn a handful of time in the last two months.  That's summer in Cumbria! 

Will have a look for our swallows today - they were certainly still around 3 days ago.  One family lives in the dogs' pens, so they shout at me when I go in at night :love:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 11:24:09 am »
Got a second brood in my hay loft at the mo, chittering away.  Summer seems to have returned here temporarily (i.e. it's not p*ssing down like it has been for the past few months).

I just posted a question under the wildlife section for any of you who live with swallows.....:)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 11:42:26 am »
We thought there was only one brood then suddenly at least two more appeared, chattering and swooping, so pleased to be out of their tight squeeze of a nest.  There's even a nest with eggs in - don't hold out much hope for them.  There were a couple of young swallows eating from the seed feeder again this morning.  We have plenty of flies here, and it's about to pour, for the next few days.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 06:56:25 pm »
We seem to have had far fewer swallows this year! Desperately NEED rain, The fields are looking a bit brown and 3 or 4 days of steady rain would do the grass the world of good.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 07:12:50 pm »
We seem to have had far fewer swallows this year! Desperately NEED rain, The fields are looking a bit brown and 3 or 4 days of steady rain would do the grass the world of good.

There's enough up here to wash the whole country away.  Wouldn't it be great if we could swap weather occasionally  :thinking:  I think the amount of rain falling here is made worse by the rivers of tears shed by those of us attempting to get a hay crop in.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 11:30:06 pm »
I was getting worried at the thought of all the swallows leaving. So relieved that there are plenty left.

We haven't had a decent fall of rain for several weeks. I'm fed up with keep dragging the hose down the garden every night.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 08:08:26 pm »
Ours hatched another lot out, we heard them calling for food about Thursday 11th, so not sure how old that would make them. I so hope they are old enough to survive  :fc:.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 08:23:08 pm »
They don't usually leave until mid Sept, and wee ones can hang on longer than that if they need to fatten a bit more so they'll be fine.  We still have loads flying here and showing no sign of leaving.

Our nest with eggs in turned out to be a wren which had commandeered a swallow nest, which is now stuffed full of tiny baby wrens  :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 10:23:19 am by Fleecewife »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS