Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Egg eater  (Read 3088 times)

Carey boy

• Joined May 2014
  • Caernarfon, North Wales
Egg eater
« on: August 09, 2016, 11:34:11 am »
Hi,

One of my hens is an egg eater. Any ideas on how I can  stop it or how to identify the one so that I can stop it.

David

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Egg eater
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 12:24:26 pm »
I have found if one starts they all tuck in....

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 03:08:01 pm »
we used to use hot mustard or chili powder, but I think the best way would be to get the eggs before she does. I have one or two which do this if i break an egg accidentally. I would try the hot mustard inside an egg and see if that works. another good thing to do would be to get a small camera night vision to see which one it is. apart from that I dont know...... someone plz say something better!
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 03:56:28 pm »
I have had this problem but it did stop. I reaslised that letting them out all together before the last one had laid was a mistake as it only happened when one hen sneaked back in during the day in response to a hen loudly proclaiming she had produced an egg! Clearly that can only work with a small flock of regular morning layers.
It was as if the presence of others stopped her - and now the habit seems broken. It may just be co incidence. The mustard thing did not work for us.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 04:00:45 pm »
I just separate them into an individual coop one at a time until I identify the culprit and then .....

Carey boy

• Joined May 2014
  • Caernarfon, North Wales
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 08:07:19 pm »
Guy's, thank you all for the good advice.

David

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 08:49:15 pm »
Hi,
The problem comes up every now and then as one of the girls lays thin shelled eggs and and each spring when the crows attack the duck eggs in the garden (and leaving the half eaten eggs for the chickens...)
The first thing I was advised to do was to block off the nesting boxes with curtains. This certainly makes a difference as they can't watch each other laying. Out of sight, out of mind.
Mustard filled eggs worked short term but are a lot of fuzz! So I bought a lot of wooden eggs and each nesting box holds 2. The culprit tends to peck at each egg once, then gives up. I get a lot of dented ones I can't sell but all the more for us ;)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 09:55:14 am »
Problem with egg eaters left with others is that they will copy her.  Might take a while but one day they'll get bored because it's raining and they don't want to go outside and then you'll have no eggs at all.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 10:13:23 am »
Lemons!!!!!

chrismm662

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 11:58:16 am »
Ive found the best cure is adding fake eggs (or even golf balls !) to their nesting boxes, stopped my egg eating in a week.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 12:21:55 pm »
We do the same and it has always worked. Put pot (ceramic not rubber) eggs in the nest boxes- they must get a real headache trying to peck them open!

Mustard in eggs I've never heard of being successful and can fuel the egg eating habit as some hens amazingly like the taste.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 01:20:35 pm »
I have one clever hen that now tries them all. She waits in the other nesting box until her sisters are done and then moves over and  has a go, 2 wooden eggs or not! I can tell from her behaviour what she is up to, sometimes she sits down really quickly when I open the hatch to hide her bounty, as occasionally she gets lucky as elderly hen sometimes lays softies....

Gregoz

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 06:34:05 pm »
Old saying " if a hen eats an egg, then you eat the hen!"

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS