Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sexual maturity - what age?  (Read 5470 times)

Paul and Caroline

• Joined Apr 2014
Sexual maturity - what age?
« on: August 05, 2016, 09:18:01 am »
Hi

Typical newbie question here.

We have four weaners which we are fattening up for the freezer. 2 boars and 2 gilts from the same litter. They are Saddlebacks crosses and just over -9 weeks old. Both boars are entire.

When we did our research it seemed that we didn't need to worry about 'hanky-panky'' as they (the boars) would be away at about 6 months. However the bigger of the boars is now displaying and has been trying to mount his brother (so far) although when he sniffs around the girls they give him short shrift.

Are we wrong in believing that the gilts won't mature for another couple of months? They are all living in a big paddock outdoors however We only have the one ark as we weren't anticipating a need to separate them. The boars are about 65kg and I was hoping to take them to 75/80kg before slaughter. If We are not separating them do we need to bite the bullet and take the boars to the abbatoir now......? Hope this isn't a silly question

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Sexual maturity - what age?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 11:26:53 am »
I'll leave others to respond to the fertility question, but in terms of behaviour that play mounting always takes place even when it is just boars together, it is at least at first no more than playing. They can mount so they do, often not much else for entertainment in a pig pen!

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 12:46:57 pm »
Can you just clarify their ages, you say 9 weeks old now, but the boars are 65kg?

Paul and Caroline

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 02:48:15 pm »
Hi

Sorry that was a typo - they are 19 weeks (just over)

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 02:59:13 pm »
When I had boars only they also did the mounting thing. I was also told that if gone by 6 months old not a problem, but not experienced enough to say with confidence.
________
Caroline

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 06:59:00 pm »
Fast growing gilts can be sexually mature by 5mth's . Next time i'm sure you'll buy 4 of the same sex  :thumbsup:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 02:20:32 pm »
Mounting can also be dominance behaviour.  What breed are they?  Native breeds are generally slower to come to maturity than modern/commercials.  That said, I always separate my boars from gilts at 13 weeks maximum and would aim to take the boars to slaughter at 22 weeks and the gilts at 24.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 08:17:54 am »
We run mix boar/gilt groups of weaners and get them away around 6-7 months and have never had a problem over the last five years - doesn't mean it can't happen but I've never seen it!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 08:51:30 am »
Lots of people run mixed groups of finishers. It does happen but generally the gilts will be away before they show in pig.

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 07:33:37 am »
I've got a different view I'm afraid. I most certainly would NOT be running them together now and neither would I wish to sent a gilt to slaughter that may be in pig.  I know it happens but its not for me.  A friend I know very well had a mixed group running together and 4 gilts caught and farrowed far too young (he didn't send them to slaughter when he suspected what had happened). If my memory is correct they were little over 7 months when they farrowed .. and the inbreeding has resulted in a few deformities in the pigs as they are maturing.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 08:10:37 am by P6te »
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 08:44:26 am »
[member=4128]benkt[/member] because you have rare breeds which are slower maturing you may well be ok but  as to not having seen a problem, I was wondering whether the abbatior would tell you if there was any embryos- do you have that info from them?  I am not critical, just curious. We are about to get our first breeding sows and while I intend to segregate by 4 months any that don't go as weaners,  on a small plot there is always going to be occasions when running them on together longer may be convenient.....

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 09:12:44 am »
I've got a different view I'm afraid. I most certainly would NOT be running them together now and neither would I wish to sent a gilt to slaughter that may be in pig.  I know it happens but its not for me.  A friend I know very well had a mixed group running together and 4 gilts caught and farrowed far too young (he didn't send them to slaughter when he suspected what had happened). If my memory is correct they were little over 7 months when they farrowed .. and the inbreeding has resulted in a few deformities in the pigs as they are maturing.

To farrow down at that age they were all sexually mature at 3 months. What breed were they?

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 09:21:39 am »

To farrow down at that age they were all sexually mature at 3 months. What breed were they?

They are Oxford Sandy and Black
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 10:22:13 am »

They are Oxford Sandy and Black

Well, you do surprise me as OSAB tend to mature more slowly than other traditional breeds, so he must have had an extremely prolific strain of both boar and gilt.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 12:07:58 pm »
@pharnoth: really good question, I'd assumed they would mention it, but a quick google doesn't pull up anything obvious on whether there is a requirement that they do so. I'll ask my place next time I go.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS