Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turkey chick rolling to one side  (Read 1574 times)

Gregoz

• Joined May 2015
Turkey chick rolling to one side
« on: July 23, 2016, 10:56:06 am »
Hi,

I have had a clutch of turkeys hatch two days ago
One keeps on rolling onto its side and does not seem to have any balance
Any ideas??

GB

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Turkey chick rolling to one side
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 03:05:10 pm »
If you look at it from above do its legs appear to be at the same angle as those of the other poults?  It could possibly have splay legs, in which case a hobble may correct the problem.  If not I would suspect a genetic or other problem and seriously consider culling it if it hasn't corrected itself in a few days.  If it's unable to eat or drink the energy from the yolk sac will run out around then and it will die of dehydration or starvation anyway.

Gregoz

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 06:14:34 am »
Thanks for the reply.
One of the others has splayed legs and I have fixed a hobble to it.
This one seems to be different but the good news is that it is improving and eating and drinking. It seems to be more of a balance issue but hopefully as it gets stronger it will continue to improve

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 06:32:12 pm »
Various reasons are given for splay legs in chicks.  We had a batch of hatching eggs from a top breeder last year and most of them hatched with splay legs so we didn't think it could be parent stock diet or humidity during hatching, both of which are often given as the reason, as none of our home-produced chicks in that batch had the problem.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS