Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Alternative Meat birds  (Read 7299 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Alternative Meat birds
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2016, 03:56:00 pm »
I've often wondered about raising pheasants for meat, like chicken: ie no release and shooting bit.  I imagine they'd be less gamey than the released, semi-wild types that gamekeepers produce.
My friend did it last year. He bought and hatched pheasant eggs. Wanted to raise some for food and keep and trio for breeding.
The problem is they have to be closed in some sort of aviary so no free range. They are very wild. If you try to grab them they fly up so hard they can damage their heads.
After all he ate them all.  They taste fantastic but you need to have a large enclosure for them.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2016, 05:07:01 pm »
This is why I'm really interested. I'm in a terrace at the moment and have 30ish hens which are dual purpose. However, it'd be great to supplement the chicken with rabbit too.
I used to live in a terraced house... never again! Now I'm still in the city and do have close neighbours that's why I was reluctant to get a cockerel but my neighbours have one and everyone asks if it's my because... they love it!!!
Recently I got one too  :thumbsup:
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2016, 05:39:28 pm »
I've often wondered about raising pheasants for meat, like chicken: ie no release and shooting bit.  I imagine they'd be less gamey than the released, semi-wild types that gamekeepers produce.
My friend did it last year. He bought and hatched pheasant eggs. Wanted to raise some for food and keep and trio for breeding.
The problem is they have to be closed in some sort of aviary so no free range. They are very wild. If you try to grab them they fly up so hard they can damage their heads.
After all he ate them all.  They taste fantastic but you need to have a large enclosure for them.
Sounds really good that, I have always wanted to breed pheseants for the table. I thought the reason why they were do gamey was because when they shoot them they leave them to hang and they don't bleed properly, which is what gives the gamey flavour? Plus the food which they eat during growing up and the fact they are very active birds
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2016, 05:53:15 pm »
No. The hanging makes the meat softer actually. They taste gamey because they live much longer than usual broiler chicken which means they actually use their muscles.
Guinea fowl tastes very much like a pheasant actually.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2016, 05:55:51 pm »
No. The hanging makes the meat softer actually. They taste gamey because they live much longer than usual broiler chicken which means they actually use their muscles.
Guinea fowl tastes very much like a pheasant actually.
Ah right, well I learn something new every day :) How long from chicks to big birds roughly and how will you know when ready to kill out?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2016, 12:25:02 pm »
That's what my friend said about his pheasants:

I slaughtered them at 18 wks although there generally ready at 16. Can't remember how much they weighed about 1.1-1.2kg
 Hardly anything compared to a chicken

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2016, 07:37:17 am »
Here's some pics of my bunnies.
Chinchilla:

Beveren:

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2016, 01:05:52 pm »
Partridge ?

Anyone keep them ? I imagine similar to keep to quail but bit more on them !

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2016, 01:14:29 pm »
Got 200 coming tomorrow along with 1000 pheasants.
Still not much on them.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2016, 02:01:56 pm »
Partridge ?

I was gonna get them. The problem is the grey partridge are monogamous so for every male only one female. They don't lay many eggs comparing to up to 300 by quails.
Another rating is they are VERY flighty. They jump so hard they break there heads on the ceiling...

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2016, 02:03:00 pm »
I still think rabbits are the most efficient meat producers. Just had one yesterday. Stewed with home grown veggies.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2016, 03:10:31 pm »
Partridge ?

On the Partridge pens on the shoot I put plastic mesh on the roof to stop them hurting themselves.
But you're right they are very flighty
I was gonna get them. The problem is the grey partridge are monogamous so for every male only one female. They don't lay many eggs comparing to up to 300 by quails.
Another rating is they are VERY flighty. They jump so hard they break there heads on the ceiling...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS