Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lump in udder  (Read 2457 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Lump in udder
« on: July 15, 2016, 02:31:34 pm »
Hi
Goats with kid on her which I separate overnight and milk in the morning, i don't milk her right out
A couple of days ago she had a hard lump where teat joins udder, i presumed blocked milk duct, as i dont milk her out it wasn't as noticable when udder and teat were firm, this morning had found the udder mint so massaged it a bit.
Later thought I'd better check, last time vet had stuck a syringe needle in and drawn milk off, decided I could do that.
As I put needle in, goat jumped, needle came out and fluid was everywhere, running off her teat, very watery but a little blood in it as well. I squeezed a bit more out then washed her with mild disinfectant, then turned her straight out for fresh air to dry off.
Any thoughts please?
Goat seems fine in herself, and not been objecting to milking so presumably not painful?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Lump in udder
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 12:49:10 am »
Did you stick the needle in the lump? I wasn't sure if you meant there or the teat. If blood is coming from the teat, I'd suspect mastitis. Mine has a lump and no mastitis. I think that the kids butting her udder can cause lumps but you need to be sure.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Lump in udder
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 02:48:38 am »
I put the needle in the lump, that's what the vet did to see if it was milk in the lump, which when she did it, it was, same goat, but whatever it is must have been under pressure, quite a lot watery stuff  came out and was running down and off bottom of teat. Then left Milking bench out in rain then given a good Scrub!
Milk has been fine, but got a surplus so left kids on her tonight.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS