Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: working out and planning for moult - can it be done?  (Read 1720 times)

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
working out and planning for moult - can it be done?
« on: July 13, 2016, 09:54:44 pm »
Is it possible? x50 hens  POL June 2015 & x25 hens POL October 15.   I havent kept a record of evidence of moult previously but there are a few feathers around the house.  I need to be on the ball now and plan purchases to overlap these time. From these dates can you plan moult at 11 months and the following year? How long does egg laying drop for 12 weeks?

Have had broody hens - ok now chests bare and quite a few feathers. Am I edging dangerously close to moult with my 1st lot? Egg drop today.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: working out and planning for moult - can it be done?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 08:39:27 am »
You should be able to stagger the first moult buy getting POL early (March) and late (Oct). But there is no guarantee and after that they are all likely to do a second moult in the Autumn in my experience.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 09:34:49 am »
Impossible to predict exactly, in my experience.  My turkeys are starting to moult now, the chickens aren't.  I hatch between April and June (rare breed large fowl) and the youngsters start laying mid Winter, at the time the breeding stock is slowing down due to shorter daylight hours.  Most birds are sold in their second year, after hatching has stopped.  Last year many of my breeding birds were moulting in November.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 10:53:34 am »
Is it possible? x50 hens  POL June 2015 & x25 hens POL October 15.   I havent kept a record of evidence of moult previously but there are a few feathers around the house.  I need to be on the ball now and plan purchases to overlap these time. From these dates can you plan moult at 11 months and the following year? How long does egg laying drop for 12 weeks?

Have had broody hens - ok now chests bare and quite a few feathers. Am I edging dangerously close to moult with my 1st lot? Egg drop today.
Should you not have done more research on this before now?  Perhaps breeds vary - mine do but I only have 8 - all different breeds.  My Maran cross hardly ever shows any feather loss for instance, nor my auracana cross, whereas my hyline and RIR are bare a lot of the time.  Egg production is not an issue for me but if it was I'd have investigated.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS