Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat containment  (Read 2126 times)

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
Goat containment
« on: June 13, 2016, 01:24:41 pm »
In my quest for goat knowledge, I'm wondering if electric fencing works well to keep them where they should be? I have both wire/ribbon (for horses) and netting (for turkeys, but it didn't work!). 

My field boundaries are very ancient and climbable dry stone walls, so clearly not ideal and I gather tethering is frowned upon...

Also, do goats do okay on grass (plus hard feed and hay as required) or do they positively need branches etc to keep them happy?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Goat containment
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 02:23:45 pm »
They do better with browsings, BUT if you can cut/scythe fresh grass in the summer (from the overgrown areas, so nice and long, can contain thistles/nettles/docs etc, but not much in the way of creeping buttercup) then that will go a Long way to satisfy them, especially on wet days/evenings.

Willow will grow quickly if you get some cutings in this coming winter.

Mine have so far respected the electric topwire on the fences (3ft standard sheep netting plus 1 strand of top wire, mains electric powered). Kids learn fast, a few screams and then they are fine.

Depends also where you get your goats from - a goat that knows about jumping will always try and do it, but the seller will seldom mention the reason for selling them is.....

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 05:38:56 pm »
My goats are (well were) pretty easy to contain but in the last couple of months my 2 wethers have decided that escaping is the way forward. If they couldn't go over (anything under 4' 6") or through (anything hedged) then they would just repeatedly head butt and push against the fence post till it finally loosened or broke. We have finally resorted to electric fencing. It has been fantastic and I only wish we had gone for it earlier.

If you want some willow cuttings and are anywhere near us feel free to come and collect as much as you want. Cuttings always better taken in winter but to be honest it's stopping it growing thats the problem and you can stick it in the ground pretty much any time of year and most of it will take.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 01:12:28 pm »
I'm a great believer in electric fencing as well, NOT mesh type.
I find mine only go under if there is a big area beyond, ie can make a run for it. I have one strand of white polywire (easily seen) running in front of a drystone wall which really needs a lot of rebuilding, one strand stops them trying, i might have 2 strands but growing grass would keep touching lower strand.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 02:51:57 pm »
My goats are mainly on grass but I cut branches of willow and some ash.
If you can cut some from somewhere it will be a treat for them  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS