Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig fencing  (Read 5875 times)

Waula

• Joined May 2016
Pig fencing
« on: June 07, 2016, 08:29:40 pm »
Hi,
I took on the hand rearing of 5 gos/berkshire piglets as the sow died at farrowing (i'm a vet and somehow get sucked into these things!!!). They were only a few hours old when I got them but somehow they've all thrived and are now weaned at 8 weeks old and raring to get outside permanently. We are looking at fencing a part of a field adjacent to the house - it already has stock fence (post & rail with netting and a strand of barbed wire at the bottom) that is good condition but the field is 20 acres and we are looking at making an acre paddock for them. Longer term we are thinking keep the 3 girls for breeding so will need the space dividing again in the future.
Anyway, apologies for the background. What would you recommend for fencing? Post and rail with netting and barbed wire at the bottom? I'm not very keen on electric as we've got a 2 and a 4 yr old (children!) who are somewhat free range too (!)
It is a straight line that needs doing, flat field, down to pasture at the minute - cost wise, what would you think?
Thanks in advance!

Paula

gracy

• Joined Jun 2014
Re: Pig fencing
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 08:07:14 am »
just my two cents but i too have a 4 year old who was once a 2 year old ..... :P We have had so many incidences with barbed wire (minor cut and scratches that produced lots of crying and as she got older "i don't want to live on a farm the gardens hurt") Eventualy we got rid off it all. On the other hand we also have elcetric fencing running along the top and (since last year) the bottem of our stock fencing. She has never touched it not once. Why? Because when we first replaced the barbed wire at the bottem with electric we said everytime she went near and last thing at bedtime and first thing in the morning. "your not going to touch that fence now its electric. you touch it the electric will bite you and you will die."  Took about a week of careful obs before i was confident she would be safe. I knew the mesage had got through when she told the postman that our fence would bite him and he would die. :trophy:

So 3 year olds can definatly understand do not touch if given a seriouce enough consequence.

If you want to expand fields electric is the easiest but the piglets have to be trained to electrisity (just like children  :eyelashes:) so given your not a full time farmer i think your most stressless option for this would be to have their first pen stock fenced with 2 electric wires running at the bottem (15 and 37 cm high) that way when inquizative piglets get zapped they have no option but to turn around and run back into their field. It would also mean small fingers wont be able to reach elecy wire by the time you are making the bigger pens with just lecy they will have learnt don't touch.

On first expericence of leccy wire if there is no back up fencing its 50/50 whether pigs will run forwards or backwards. And you don't want to be chasing
piglets across 20 acres. :pig:

Any way that's my 2 cents. someone with more experience is bound to come aloong soon.

BTW cost wise mains energisers are more expensive than batery but if you have a spare plug its a lot less hassel as no matter how much earth and muck they acidently bury the wire in they cant run it flat so the rest of the fence will still be live.
Check fencline every day. My piggys stay well away from it now but still knock all sorts of debries around with enough vigour to have some of it land on the fence.   

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 09:21:02 am »
We've used electric in the past and changed to stock fencing with a strand of barbed wire - we get lots of power cuts in winter and the areas were too big to be effectively powered by battery. Kids respect both equally - as long as they're warned not to touch (and they'll only do it a couple of times  ;))
The only thing I would say (and please don't be offended or shoot me down!) is that generally hand reared pigs aren't as good (in terms of long term health) as those who've been raised by mum, I wouldn't use orphans to breed from. Raise a few batches for the freezer, get a bit of practice and be sure you want to commit to them 365 days (and nights) then buy good breeding stock - you'll get better results.
Good luck with them  :)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 09:37:41 am »
As with everything farming whether it is the animals themselves, machinery or just living in a working space, children just need to be educated and supervised when young.

One consideration might be whether you want the fencing to be permanent and how that fits into your other land use plans.  Personally, I prefer stock fencing.  If you do use electric make only a small area to start with to get them used to it. Think about access because once they know they will get a shock in one particular place they wont forget and may not cross the invisible line.

There is nothing wrong with cross bred pigs but if you are going to keep any for breeding, having given some thought to previous comments, they still need to be suitable to breed from, good underlines and legs being a must.

Louise P

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 07:46:12 pm »
We just have a small post and rail paddock with a couple of strands of plain wire in the gaps at the bottom. Once they're big enough to reach higher up, they can't get through the gaps.
Not had a problem yet so keeping my fingers crossed it will stay ok. We've raised 3 lots in here so far.
As far as electric fencing and children goes. I also have a 2 year old and a 4 year old and have no issue with electric. Make sure you tell them properly whilst next to the fence. Once you're sure they have heard you and listened then if they touch it then they won't do it again. It will learn them a good lesson that what mum says is actually right sometimes lol.
Enjoy your pigs :-) (oh and your kids!)

Gregoz

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 10:52:43 pm »
Ha ha! Nicest post on here for a while! Enjoyed it without any over inflated ego opinions x

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 10:20:09 pm »
We are new to pigs but have had great success with simple stock fencing and a couple of strands of electric in front so that they don't test it!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 10:31:36 pm »
When we were kids we were always supervised on farm to make sure we never did anything stupid, I myself have had a few incidences with barbed wire, but only when I was older and it was my own stupid fault anyway. Always kept away from anything dangerous on farm and supervised at all times, so accidents very rarely happened, unless we ran too fast as kids are apt to do. My parents always taught us what we could touch and what not, electric fences out of bounds, climbing fences we were not allowed until much older, even then frowned upon as they're not only dangerous but can damage the fence too. Always through or being very careful, when older, climbed over. Having said all that I was a very mischevious kid  and always did my own thing when everyones back was turned. That is one thing which does sadly put me off having children, because I love what I do and I know my eye would always have to be on the ball if I had children especially on farm and I don't feel like I am ready for that for a long time, if ever. I agree with [member=141186]Louise P[/member]  You always have to be very careful especially around pigs, they could bite a childs fingers off very easily. Don't let them even stick their hands through the fence, as a pig is very dangerous or could be. Education is a very important part of any working farm/smallholding and especially were children are concerned.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 10:09:02 am »
You always have to be very careful especially around pigs, they could bite a childs fingers off very easily. Don't let them even stick their hands through the fence, as a pig is very dangerous or could be. Education is a very important part of any working farm/smallholding and especially were children are concerned.

Don't know any children or adults who have a lost fingers to pigs. Does anyone? Dangerous WBF? Anymore than other farm animals? My suffolk sheep could easily knock over a small child without meaning any harm. There are plenty of threads on nasty cockerels on here. Plenty of people injured and worse by cows. How many children are injured riding horses? All animals have the potential to harm. Pigs love human company.

Yes, there are those animals which are plain nasty and I would always say no matter how good looking they are unless you can be sure that people can be kept safely away from them then get rid. I wouldn't take risks with my family or anyone elses.

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 11:47:07 am »
I'm with Harmony! Pigs are not dangerous  :love: :pig: :love:
I've kept and bred a variety of breeds of pigs for 10 years (my oldest child is almost 13 and my youngest is 6) and never, not once, have any of us been hurt or nearly hurt (and we've had some really big traditional breed sows and breeding boars as well as kunekune) 
My kids used to have 'tea parties' in arcs with weaners, play football with porkers and spent lots of (supervised) time with all of ours. My oldest two girls have both farrowed litters on their own (we were right outside the pen - but it was them checking piglets airways and reassuring the sows) they've taken sows and growers into the show ring and helped other keepers with unknown pigs in the same situation - all of this without incident.
The suggestion that a pig would bite a finger off is ludicrous and quite frankly I'm offended on behalf of the pigs  :o ;)
Don't EVER feed them by hand, this will avoid any association with food and fingers and don't put your hand in their mouths - they'll eat wellies given a chance, but stop them as youngsters (firm no and a tap on the snout) and they'll respect you as adults.
They can be pushy and boisterous at feed time, excitable and pleased to see you, but not dangerous PROVIDING you're sensible, supervising interaction and you educate yourself and your family.
Pigs are FANTASTIC - you'll love them  :thumbsup:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 12:07:39 pm »
OK, ok guys I stand corrected. Still like you say you have to take precautions with any animals in that case and there is always once. Back on the subject of fencing, weaners i would use sheep fencing possibly with a strand of electtic wire at the bottom of it, as thry grow up use proper pig electric fencing and make sure its a good high power. How long  are you kerping them for? Is it permanent ot just fattening for the freezer?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 06:09:05 pm »
I think WBF was just making the point that like any other animal, pigs can be dangerous. However, if you/family do get a nip, then I'd suggest getting to A&E pronto - pigs have a lot of unfriendly bacteria in their mouths.

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 07:55:45 pm »
I was bitten by a boar once, when I was younger, as I was trying to move him and he just bit me knee and boy was it agony. Always be careful around pigs, don't let anyone put hands near their mouths at all, every animal is very unpredictable and the last thing you want are injuries, thankfully mine was not sufficient enough to be called an injury but it was sore the rest of the day and  he never did it again, possibly because I kicked him rather hard and he ran away, oops sorry piggie! ;) Out of interest what breed have you got and is it just for meat or for breeding in the long run?
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 09:17:23 pm »
SophieYorkshire is quite right if you or your family are UNLUCKY enough to be bitten by a pig you should get it looked at straight away.

As a vet I am sure you are used to handling animals and hopefully are not put off by any of the above. Pig boards are very useful. Make moving pigs easier and safer.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 09:38:07 pm »
I think it's wrong to say pigs are not dangerous. Yes they do enjoy human interaction and yes they are placid creature very nearly all the time. However they are equipped to be dangerous and it only takes a second for something bad to happen. I certainly wouldn't let small children be with pigs without experienced supervision.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS