Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear tags / marking  (Read 2131 times)

DenisCooper

• Joined May 2016
Ear tags / marking
« on: June 06, 2016, 09:57:39 pm »
Hi,

Can someone help clarify something for me with regards to tagging pigs with a permanent mark - i.e. ear tag, tattoo, slap mark.

I understand you need to tag them before and during transportation between locations, farms, and the abattoir. But what about on my own holding, do i need to have them tagged all the time?

Thanks
Denis

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: Ear tags / marking
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 11:37:16 pm »
ID is only required for transport between holdings.

A pig that is born on a holding, lives on the holding and then dies on the holding never needs ID
A pig under one year old (NOT going to slaughter) going to another holding can move on a temporary mark, which only needs to last for the duration of the journey - so if you buy say an 8 week old weaner on a temporary mark, and it stays on your farm, again it needs no ID.
A pig over one year old (NOT going to slaughter) going to another holding needs either an eartag or a tattoo (typically ear) - legally it can have a slapmark, but you don't want to do that as it causes problems for ID later  - so if you buy say a breeding sow, then it will come with a tag/ear tattoo of the holding it came from, and needs no further ID whilst it stays with you.  IF the tag falls out, it does not need to be replaced.
If you sell a pig over one year old to another holding, you will need to put a tag or tattoo on it with your holding as per the above.
A pig going to slaughter AT ANY AGE must have either an eartag or a slapmark (both shoulders).  Legally it can have an ear tattoo, but the abattoir will probably refuse it, and some abattoirs only allow slapmarks

all comes under The Pigs (Records, Identification and Movement) Order 2011 (similar laws apply to Scotland, Wales and NI)

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2011/2154/contents/made

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

DenisCooper

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 09:30:23 am »
Great detailed reply, thank you.

It confirms what I thought I had understood from the various papers I've read which is good.

I just got my first 3 pigs (saddleback, osb and Gloucester old spot)

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 10:50:47 am »
great - enjoy them !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS