Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buying goats  (Read 3335 times)

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
Buying goats
« on: June 05, 2016, 09:23:34 pm »
So, if I were to venture into goats, where would be the best place to look for them?  :thinking:

Sheep and cattle have markets, but I've never seen a goat one, outside Rare Breeds sales.

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
Re: Buying goats
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 09:37:13 pm »
There are lots for sale on Preloved :wave: :goat:

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 09:41:47 pm »
Maybe I'll have to be patient.  All the ones on Preloved at the moment seem to be either billys or about as far away from me as is concievably possible. 

There seems to be a glut of lovely goats in Wales and Cornwall!

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 10:26:02 pm »
Various local  goat clubs and breed society's have a stock secretary who can help you and give you details of local goat keepers who may have stock for sale, this time of year there starts to be more for sale after kiddings over and people know if they have some for sale. Most people sell their stock privately contacts via clubs , Facebook pages Goats for sale and wanted and pedigree goats for sale and wanted are useful, here on TAS also ukgoats web page. Research what kind of goats you want and for what purpose you want a couple of goats - pet, dairy, meat, fibre, breed/ type you like the look of.  There is a list of clubs / breed society's on the British Goat Society website.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 10:38:46 pm by Talana »

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 10:33:32 pm »
I have two gorgeous girls for sale...in the Midlands  ::)

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 10:36:55 pm »
I'm wanting milking goats. Ideally, I'd like Anglo-Nubian for the high buttermilk content (and floppy ears) as I want to make cheese but I'd be happy with anything milky and reasonably docile for a newbie so would be more than happy with a crossbreed.

I'm not really in any big hurry: I've got a lot of goat research to do first!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 06:32:37 am »
Try and fiind a local goat club - any shows within reasonable distance from you will have local-ish goatkeepers there and most of use love to talk goats....

Even if you do not intend to breed pedigree goats, if you are interested in milking them it reallly helps if you buy in goats with a known (and preferably recorded) milking history in their family. I don't want to start a whole new discussion about the merits of buying pedigree vs preloved, but there could be gallons of milk difference between a goat from preloved and one from a family bred for milk... and it costs the same to keep them.

If you do find a goat that the owner says is registered, pm me her ear tag no or registered number and I can check for you. Also one thing to watch out for - goats can only be registered until the age of 2 years and by their original breeder...

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 04:48:37 pm »
I see you are in Yorkshire - I might be able to help -we are near Selby

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 05:34:41 pm »
We too are thinking about going into goats .... so tapping into this thread
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 11:59:26 pm »
We too are thinking about going into goats .... so tapping into this thread

Even more reason for me to visit.  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS