Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Line breeding/inbreeding?  (Read 1959 times)

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
Line breeding/inbreeding?
« on: May 24, 2016, 11:13:05 am »
I have two rams who are related via their sire but have different mothers (half brothers).  They have both sired lovely lambs this year from my ewes - so their lambs share the same grandfather.

Can the rams mate with each others' offspring, who will share the paternal grandsire?  I couldn't work out the relationship  ::)

They are both very good rams and I can't decide between them which to keep - so it's just as easy to keep them both if the matings won't cause a problem.  If I only keep one then eventually he will have to be changed for an unrelated ram.

1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Yeoman

• Joined Oct 2010
  • South Northamptonshire
Re: Line breeding/inbreeding?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 11:48:52 am »
Have a read thought this.

http://www.critterhaven.biz/info/articles/1_ram.htm

Seems to make sense to me.  Others may disagree...

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 12:34:30 pm »
Managing Inbreeding article from the NSA: http://www.signetfbc.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/managing_inbreeding.pdf

The resulting offspring will have a great-grandfather and grandfather in common.  So Ram A will mate with it's half-niece (Ram B's daughter, Ram B being a half brother to Ram A) ... I think?  In which case it's 6.25% which is just about acceptable.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone :) .

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 01:11:37 pm »
Totally fine for one generation... as in any ewe lambs you keep need to go to a ram that is not related in my opinion. I do these kinds of crosses with all my animals from time to time. Never had a single issue in about 30 years!  You only line breed when there is an exceptional characteristic you want to stick... in other words you would not do it with just an average animal. In your case I'd give it a go :)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 03:27:37 pm »
If I have a superb ram I would consider mating it to my older ewes which did not share a common tup or ewe in the previous generation, but it would have to bring something exceptional to the party, such as growth rate, good feet or conformation or, referably, all three.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 05:59:21 pm »
They have both produced very good lambs, especially the Texel x Suffolk.  The other is a Texel x Lleyn and his lambs are pretty good too.  Out of the the two the Suffolk x seems to have produced slightly larger and meatier lambs, even from my Gotlands who didn't have any problems lambing and all had twins - so if I had to choose only one to keep it would be him. 

Thanks for the links, a bit complicated to get my simple head around but I think I'll be ok for a year or two  :thumbsup:
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS