Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bottle jaw?  (Read 5048 times)

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Shropshire / N Wales Border
Bottle jaw?
« on: May 23, 2016, 02:52:33 pm »
This is another question about my old goat - the one that was (and still is) thin.
Vet is coming out to see her next week and I am not terrible hopeful about his prognosis.
Anyway, I noticed yesterday that she has a lump low down on her jaw at one side. She wasn't awfully keen on my touching it so I haven't looked inside her mouth so far.
Internet tells me it might be "bottle jaw" which I had never heard of until about 5 minutes ago.
So seems that the treatment is worming and coppering - any other ideas from anyone out there?

Is there anything else I need to do - is it painful for her for example

Also, could this be a reason for the thinness of the goat?

If she is anaemic which the internet suggests could be the case can I inject her with the same iron as I have for the pigs?
And finally, can all these medications be given at the same time?

One again - in advance - thank you for your help

I keep reminding myself that you do not learn from the healthy ones - its the problematic ones that teach us new things -I wish they didn't have to suffer for my benefit though :-(
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 02:55:50 pm by Bluff »

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Bottle jaw?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 03:34:54 pm »
On one side it is not likely to be bottle jaw.
Bottle jaw is a swelling due to excessive fluid pooling, usually from a lack of protein in the blood, which is often due to fluke or johnes disease or occasionally a very bad worm infestation.
On one side, it could be something like an abscess or a tooth problem, or an infection of the bone. The vet will examine the swelling to decide the best course of action, which may be draining , removal of the tooth and/or antibiotics and antiinflammatories.
The vet will be able to advise you what, if any, wormer to use in your area and situation but it might well be worth doing in an old thin girl. Copper may or may not be needed, again your vet could do blood tests to check for deficiencies if you are not giving minerals or a lick. I would not recommend iron as anaemia in goats would usually be caused by a disease process, which should be addressed to help the anaemia. Iron may temporarily make an anaemic animal less so, if they lack iron, but it will be short lived unless the cause is fixed.

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 04:07:29 pm »
Thank you - so bottle jaw is on both sides?

Poor old girl - she has been in the wars lately and I am beginning to think its a deficiency of something and that ultimately is down to me.

Might see if I can get the vet to come out sooner than planned then

thanks again

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 06:33:52 pm »
A ewe I bought at market last year developed bottle jaw after lambing - it was a big fluidy lump right under the jawbone and extending back towards her neck. She was pretty thin when I bought her and never really put on weight before lambing despite copious amounts of cake (and I wormed her when I got her home). A good dose of fluke wormer and the bottle jaw was gone within 48 hours and her and her lambs are now doing well.

Definitely get the vet out if you're not sure but a good fluke wormer may help you out.

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 07:22:15 pm »
Thank you. Will get some off the vet tomorrow

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 09:47:22 pm »
You need a diagnosis from your vet. In addition to whats already mentioned other possibilities  could be salivary cysts which can be more common in AN breed or could be cla , actual bottle jaw can be iodine deficiency, in fluke  bottle jaw doesn't always show in goats. Hope it's something simple that your vet can treat and hopefully you can get her back to full health.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 10:27:50 pm »
Fluke?

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 08:43:31 am »
As the vets due to visit next week why not ask  her/him to come sooner before trying to treat an 'it might be' condition yourself.  You can ask about all the suggestions while the goat is examined and the vet can explain why it might or might not be that problem.
In the long run you'll save money getting a proper diagnosis and appropriate treatment and do the best you can for your goat.
Giving something before she's examined by the vet might mask symptoms and alter blood results. :)

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 03:06:24 pm »
Thank you so much for all the good advice.
Vet is coming tomorrow now and will give his prognosis - I hope its a good one.
She has so much spirit but her body is failing her - its very sad to see

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 04:21:16 pm »
Let us know how you get on,  :fc: for a good outcome.
I've got an elderly angora that I'm putting off making a decision about, she's not ill yet just getting slow and stiff looking.
 It's hard to know what's best for the oldies

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 06:19:19 pm »
Keeping my :fc: for you!

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 06:50:28 pm »
Thank you everybody. Me too!!

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 02:06:09 pm »
Good news (ish)
Vet does not think it is bottle jaw - instead she thinks either a broken jaw, abscess or bone tumour
Either way we will treat with painkillers and pen&strep.

Red (the goat) gave a good account of herself and was sufficiently feisty to prove that she is not on her last legs yet (hurray) so the issue of PTS never arose (hurray)

Vet suggested feeding her up with the usual pellets made into a mash to see if that puts any weight on her but "she is not a welfare case yet" - which I am taking as a real positive

So hopefully the medication will sort the problem out and she will be back to fighting weight soon
Thank you for all the advice and support  :goat: :goat: :thumbsup:

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 05:10:50 pm »
Everything crossed that she makes a full recovery soon  :fc:

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 06:35:17 am »
good to have a plan, hope it works out.
Please update us in a few weeks, it's always good to hear outcomes not just problems. :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS