Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sow not feeding  (Read 1599 times)

amandac

• Joined May 2013
sow not feeding
« on: May 18, 2016, 09:18:51 pm »
I have a sow with 10 piglets (8 weeks old) who is not eating very much and spending the day in her ark. The piglets are due to be weaned this weekend. I am wondering whether the piglets have been eating more of her food than I suspected (on top of their own feed) and she is run down/weak. What can I feed her to try and encourage her to eat?

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
Re: sow not feeding
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 07:45:32 am »
Has she still got plenty of milk and allowing them access to it? You could wean immediately by now if you think they're draining her energy.

Take her a watering can full of water to keep her hydrated and try something a bit tastier to get her up and about - a wet feed of nuts with glucose/electrolytes won't harm. I'll get shot down (but we all do what needs doing with sick animals) - try a spoon of jam or some mashed banana etc in her food, pigs love sweet things!

Don't let her lie for extended periods, get her up and massage the sides she's been laid on (hard) and look at how she's moving. Is her wee and poo looking okay etc?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 12:01:40 pm »
Eight weeks is the latest I wean piglets.  They should be getting a fair proportion of their feed in the form of 16% sow & weaner nuts by now.  I feed a farrowed sow 1.3 to 1.8 kg per day, depending on condtion, plus 0.5 kg per day per piglet, so on this basis a sow with a litter of 10 would get 6.3 to 6.8 kg per day.

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 01:54:46 pm »
Ditto both the above. We find that ripe, juicy melon usually tempts their appetite  ;)
If you haven't already, I'd check her temperature to rule out infection - just to be on the safe side.
Keep us posted

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS