Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help! Struggling to get weight on/No idea what I'm doing wrong.  (Read 2527 times)

Berk

• Joined Jan 2016
Right, we got 5 welsh weaner gilts (and an older GOS boar) in mid January and have gone through all the destructive learning experiences that they brought us.

But we're getting to a point where they don't seem to be growing much, and I'm throwing 37lbs of food at them a day.

They're all happy enough in themselves, I've had a local farmer suggest soaking their feed to help them digest it/turn it into pig, he also suggested worming them, but I've not got that far yet.

FWIW, they're approx 28 weeks old.

So...

Am I doing something wrong, what is it, and how do I make it better?

Oh yes, my babies!

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Help! Struggling to get weight on/No idea what I'm doing wrong.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 05:51:12 pm »
Could they be pregnant to the boar and hence are 'turning the food into pig) just many small ones?!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 05:58:41 pm »
When you buy weaners one of the questions you should ask is "have they been wormed?". Between buying and sending off to slaughter (average around 24 weeks of age) I would have done them again twice.

Welsh pigs should be ready to go by at least 24 weeks of age.

I would worm asap. I would remove the boar because if they aren't already served you run the high risk of them getting served.

What is your plan with them?

Berk

• Joined Jan 2016
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 06:29:59 pm »
Bugger, I'll worm them ASAP, and start on more housing this weekend.   :raining:

Plan is the big 3 for the freezer, babies off the other two to maintain the "free" pork thing.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 07:13:54 pm »
They could well be pregnant and, if they were 8 weeks old when you got them as weaners in mid January, are too young to farrow.  You can get meds from your vet to stop a pregnancy but you need to do it soonest.  The Welsh tends to leaner conformation but I think worming is an absolute must.  I give any new pig on the holding a day or two to settle down then worm.  I once got some OSB weaners that voided more large worms than I could count.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 08:19:32 pm »
Bugger, I'll worm them ASAP, and start on more housing this weekend.   :raining:

Plan is the big 3 for the freezer, babies off the other two to maintain the "free" pork thing.

If you manage the "free" pork thing let us know!  :innocent:

Berk

• Joined Jan 2016
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 05:35:42 am »
If you manage the "free" pork thing let us know!  :innocent:

Well, once it's paid for and in the freezer, it's free then, right?  ;D 

This sort of delusional maths keeps me sane.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS