Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pygmy goats  (Read 2192 times)

Peter and Timmys mum

• Joined May 2016
Pygmy goats
« on: May 02, 2016, 04:43:18 pm »
Hi everyone,  i'm Karen and have recently bought some pygmy goats,  our 4 yr old girl had a kid 4 weeks ago, a bit of a surprise to all concerned,  a little boy.  I wonder if anyone could advise me on worming etc,  I have a 4yr nanny, 9mth nanny, 9mth wether, 7mth wether and the baby now,  thanks :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Pygmy goats
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 07:40:27 pm »
Hello and welcome  :wave: Not a goatkeeper but I'm sure there will be one along soon  :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 01:08:36 am »
 :wave: and welcome from Shropshire. Although I keep goats, they are dairy and are zero-grazed so I can't help on the worming question as I simply don't do it.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 08:45:15 am »
It does depend a lot of your grazing and how much space they have so best talk with your Vet. If you send them some poo samples they will take a worm count and advise from there. If you haven't already you will need to think about castration for the little one. Sad but true!

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 10:00:38 am »
As pharnorth says speak to vet to do worm count and if they need worming your vet will be able to dispense small quantities of the right dosage of product  for the weight of the goat.(Often sheep wormer used for goats but can be double the dosage for goats) They can do a worm count after treatment to check the product worked.
Also vaccination status? The person you got them from should tell you if they are vaccinated, if not speak to your vet. It is reccomended goats are done with lambivac starting with 2 injecions 4-6 weeks apart then 6 month boosters also if pasturella is a problem in your area ovipast or pastubov first 2 injecions 4-6 weeks apart(sepearate from lambivac injection then yearly booster or if more of a problem you can give more frequent boosters. Some people use ovivac p or heptivac p. I am back on to heptivac as I am in a fluke and pasturella area so vet said to put back onto heptivac p.

Peter and Timmys mum

• Joined May 2016
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 06:22:23 am »
Thank you all for your help,  i'll speak to the vet  :goat: :goat:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS