Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Very pleased! :)  (Read 3273 times)

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
Very pleased! :)
« on: May 01, 2016, 06:56:24 pm »
I bought my first ram on Friday - I wanted a pedigree Zwartbles tup, preferably proven, with good markings and most importantly a good temperament. A quiet browse on the ZSA flock book last week identified a 4 year old ram for sale, half an hour away and a bit more digging found that his owner also had ewes from the same bloodlines as my girls. So one quick email exchange and a visit later (meeting his babies from this year and last who are gorgeous!), and I'm the very proud owner of Eildon Hill Why Always Me (known as Charlie) who has proven himself to be impeccably mannered, well halter trained, and just a generally nice gent ;D

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: Very pleased! :)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 07:22:03 pm »
Ooooh lovely. What a haughty, grand looking chap. Hope he has a long and happy life making lots of beautiful Zwarbies. I love that breed but they are too big for us.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 07:26:23 pm »
Congratulations!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 08:18:43 pm »
Lovely looking boy
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 10:55:32 pm »
What a lovely chap!

Ace says hi BTW!  :wave:

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 06:40:04 am »
I have an Eildon Hill girl in with mine and she is a nice lady. 

Do not make the mistake I did with my first ram and over handle him.  Mine had a lovely temperment and came up to be fussed every time we went into the field.  Over the first breeding season he got a handful of feed as I applied raddle paint by hand and at the end of the winter he had become a bully.  I invested in a harness for his second breeding season.  He still comes up to be fussed but now he can no longer be trusted and despite wonderful breeding and superb lambs he will be on a one way ticket once I have found a market for his mutton.

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 08:16:21 am »
Thanks all, I love my Zwartbles - they are big but their temperament is fab so I can handle them on my own - lucky since I have one ewe who is determined to put her face places it shouldn't go and is regularly getting stuck. My OH's sheep (Welsh types) would panic but Cerys just stands and waits for me to come rescue her ::)

I've been given strict instructions by OH not to be friends with Charlie like I am with the girls and as he's much more experienced than me, I'm heeding his instructions :)

What breeding is Ace and your ram, Buttermilk? It's great to know there are other Z breeders on here :D

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 08:32:34 am »
Yes, I think that's the great thing about Z's - although they're large, they're so docile that I can easily handle them on my own now I've mastered the art of sheep judo.

In comparison, last year's Manx cross Shetland hoggs are much harder to do anything with (drenching, injecting etc), because they bounce about everywhere in a panic, much to the bemusement of the Z's. We also have a pair of Manx cross Zwartbles lambs this year, who came out entirely black and are doing really well.

As for getting heads stuck, I think it's the ears. A bit like a plasterboard spring fixing I reckon - goes into tight spaces, then pings out to wedge things securely! ;D

Good luck with yours. She'll learn eventually..... maybe!  ;D

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 09:26:35 am »
What breeding is Ace and your ram, Buttermilk? It's great to know there are other Z breeders on here :D

I have three rams, Brimar Archie the one destined to be mutton, St Clements Wells Borthwick who like Archie is by a Gillhall ram and they share Beech Hay Sir Black Star as a grandparent.  The other ram is homebred Eltome Chopsticks who now has had a vasectomy but I am keeping one of his sons Eltome Drummer Boy.  Chops is by Archie.

Of my girls I have Fosseway, Bunshill, Sharphaw, Harle, Bobet, Eildon Hill, Cynefin, Conwy, Pen Llyn, Oaklacy and Bryniau as well as my own Eltome ones.  Due to numbers I intend to sell on some Fosseway, Harle and Sharphaw after weaning as I am keeping their daughters.

I agree about large and docile although one bought in ewe was wild until housed for lambing.  Now she is just as good as the rest.

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 04:17:12 pm »
Fosseway is quite local to me, although I've not seen their sheep in the flesh (they withdrew from the Worcester sale last November). I do like the Bobet, Oaklacy and Beech Hay sheep but am not familiar with the others - I really need to get out more! :)

lol Womble, I half think she does it for the attention so doubt she'll pack it in any time soon, she's a bit special :innocent:

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 05:29:09 pm »
I am sure Poppy or her parents would be happy to show you the Fosseway flock anytime you visit the garden centre.  I made the mistake of buying off the Internet and then discovering how far I had to go to collect them.  The rest I got via the ZSA sales at Carlisle and Welshpool which are both a trek from here but had a good choice to bid on.  Fortunately the trailer size prevented me from being too out of control.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 01:41:14 pm »
she's a bit special :innocent:

I know what you mean. A friend of ours told us he used to be fed sheep brains on toast as a child. I doubt some of ours would have sufficient to cover a single slice!  ;D

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 06:35:34 pm »
I'm hoping to go to the Carlisle Premier sale this year but am leaving the trailer and cheque book at home! Just keen to see the cream of the crop so I really know what to be aiming for; breeding a sheep good enough to sell at the premier sale is a dream of mine :fc:

lmao Womble!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS