Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Charging cockerel  (Read 4889 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Charging cockerel
« on: April 26, 2016, 11:58:07 pm »
Anyone had issue with a cockerel charging them from behind?

Our boy has started doing it in the last couple weeks. Not every time we go out (they free range in the garden), but a fair few times a week.

It seems to be related to food, we noticed that when the pellets are low or empty he does it, and at night time when we do the corn. He runs at us from behind and gives one peck with his beak. He hasn't tried to use his spurs at all.

I thought it was hunger but a couple of times I've put the corn down, the girls are all pecking away and as I walk away he charges me.

I don't know much about chicken behaviour. Is this wanting more food? Is it him trying to dominate? Any tips of how I can break the habit? We walk with a stick (For the geese) and if I put the stick between us as he is charging he stops, watches me for a bit then goes back to his girls, but he's starting to make me weary of going into the garden with my daughter in case he escalates.

I know there isn't much chance of rehoming a cockerel, especially when he's not pure breed but he is so nice at other times that it seems a waste to send him to the pot and I'm not entirely sure how to do that.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Charging cockerel
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 12:58:19 am »
Pot I'm afraid Dans.  You can't risk keeping him with your daughter around, and even if it was just you two it's not a good idea.  They always escalate.  There are ways to dominate a cockerel, but I don't think they're sure enough with a baby around.  You can dominate him, but she can't.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 06:48:11 am »
Yep, any of ours that have started to do that ended up in curries or stews... just not worth it.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 07:11:36 am »
Yup, life is too short to share with a grumpy man! We've tried various ways to correct it over the years, but IME once it's started, it's very difficult to stop. It's just not worth the risk, especially with children around.

Casserole him and get a new one (if you need a man at all of course). Have no moral qualms either, as wasn't the new one destined for the pot until you intervened to save him?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 07:15:55 am »
Ours started doing that a year or two ago. Just a peck on the heel of my boot.

Next time he did it I turned around and chased him for a few minutes. He tried once more and got the same response. Never again.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 10:17:24 am »
I think it is related to feeding. Cockerels like to find food for their girls and can get rather stroppy if you do that for them. Ours usually go in the pot at this stage, but Steve, our current cockerel did this for the first time last month. I was holding a bucket at the time and chased him around the field bashing the bucket for a few minutes and he hasn't done it since. If it does he will be going bye byes.
If yours has been doing it for a while it may be too late to nip it in the bud and I'd agree with the above. Eat him and get another.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 02:38:50 pm »
I had one start to get stroppy (spurs as well). I pinned him down a couple of times (as they would do with a hen) then quickly followed him round for a minute or two. I also now hand feed my boys regularly. He hasn't done it now for over a year (he is about two). Agree with the others though if you think he won't be safe around your daughter don't take risks.

Helen

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 06:12:41 pm »
^ I agree that approach *may* work, and is worth a try. The trouble is, in the natural order of things, you would fight him and win. You would then become top cock, and would get all the girls; shooing him away if he tried to come near.

What actually happens though is that you win the fight, but afterwards put him down and go to work or whatever, leaving him to resume top spot. The power struggle is thus never fully resolved, and can repeat over and over.

So yes, do give him a chance or two, but if he's stuck in his ways, treat him to a long bath with some cider, stock cubes and selected root vegetables  :yum:.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 07:13:42 pm »
treat him to a long bath with some cider, stock cubes and selected root vegetables  :yum:.

Mmmmmm - almost sounds too good for a bolshy cock.....
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2016, 11:41:29 pm »
Just thought I'd update. I think he heard us talking about the pot. He has only charged once since I posted and hubby chased him around after that go. We will wait and see but he is on a yellow card.

Thank you all

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 12:34:44 am »
I agree with everyone else, would be better to pot roast, a nice coq au vin :yum: I had a cockerel which hid in a tree and jumped on me with claws and all, really horrible, he did it often until ee sold him to someone along with all the flock, probably stewed the cockerel, who knows
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 08:06:30 am »
Some thread titles just give me silly mental images:
120 or 240v cockerel?
Toll bridge fees?
Have it dehorned.
Didn't 'the good life' have a problem cockerel? Stalin?

..of absolutely no help but cheered me up

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 08:26:49 am »
Well, our cockerels to date have been called Kellogg, Roger (or was that his job description?), Mr Ginger Nuts, Foghorn Legover, Hitler and Castro. We also had a Gadaffi Duck for quite some time until he sh*gged himself to death. He was hatched during the Arab Spring, and it just kinda stuck. Oh, and Gandalf the gander of course: "None shall pass!".

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2016, 03:01:44 pm »
Ours never get a second chance to attack.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 09:45:54 pm »
you could always borrow the Blimmin cat!  :roflanim:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS