Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig drinkers  (Read 1869 times)

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Shropshire / N Wales Border
Pig drinkers
« on: April 23, 2016, 01:29:56 pm »
We buy in weaners and fatten them up. We have had weaners that have been used to using nipple drinkers and others that use a bucket. We much prefer nipple drinkers but the source of these piglets has somewhat dried up.
Question is , how easy is it to teach bucket drinkers to use nipple taps or is it too late once they get to us?
Thanks

HappyHippy

Re: Pig drinkers
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 01:57:19 pm »
We successfully managed it (sometimes needed a bit of strawberry jam smeared on the nipple for a few days  ;))
A word of warning though - be 110% sure that every single pig is drinking from the nipple before you take the bowl away. Especially as the weather warms up - we lost 2 weaners to salt poisoning for exactly that reason and it was a harrowing experience trying (and failing) to save them. Watch carefully for meningitis type symptoms (uncoordinated, eyes rolling, progressing to fitting) and just keep checking them until they stop going to the bowl. I'd keep the bowl well away from where the nipple is just so you can see where's getting the most use/footprints.
HTH

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 02:13:28 pm »
We use nipple drinkers. I use the type in a own that looks like a urinal (!). By making sure there is a bit of water in the bowl they some find it and then start pressing the nipple feeder. But agree need to make sure they are all using it.  I had a runt last year who should of died many times but at least one near death experience was the 24 hours it took me to realise she couldn't reach the water.

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Shropshire / N Wales Border
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 08:25:28 pm »
Thank you for the advice
Ok
Sounds like it's worth a go but will be careful thanks again

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS