Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Celery  (Read 2821 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Celery
« on: April 22, 2016, 08:28:35 am »
Thought I would give growing this a go. Any tips and does it grow this far North.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Re: Celery
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 09:30:25 am »
Depends on where you are :innocent:

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 10:22:33 am »
there's a very good book about growing veg (and rabbits for meat) which was written during WW2 to help householders make the most of the land.... there's a good bit in there about celery, and the main bit I remember is to grow is in a ridge system.... hold on, let me find the book and check, and I can't remember if it's on top of a ridge, or in a trough....

Found it! "Make your garden feed you" -by E.T.Brown.

You grow celery in a trench, as it's a vry thirsty thing. I think the high-density planning approach (during the war) was to have your main-crop spuds growing out of the top of a set of ridges (from ridging up) and have the celery in the troughs in betwen the ridge rows.... does that make sense?

HTH

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 06:23:57 pm »
You can grow self-blanching celery, which is fine in soups and stews but to grow "proper" celery takes time and a little bit of dedication.
Any good gardening book or website will tell you how to do it, but only you will learn, by your location and soil, how to do it well!

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 06:36:17 pm »
I did have a go at growing it one year .. found various tips via google... basically as said - very thirsty and best grown as a patch rather than row. The year I grew it we had a few weeks very dry and carting water to my large size patch is difficult..plants just got enough to keep them going so the celery was small and poor.

(I had to abandon hose watering after draining the borehole in our first year and being without potable water 3 weeks)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 11:24:12 pm »
I grow the blanching varieties and use 4 " dia sections of the brown waste water pipe to do th blanching . first height is 6 " second height is 12 inches .

There is no need to do all that hard graft of digging a deep trench in November filing it with well roted manure & put three inches of soil over it & keep having to collar & bank up unless you have crap ground that need a dam good digging over . If you do you can grow your early spring greens  transplants or early salad crops on the dug out spoil till the middle of April or so .

In November I  simply dig out a 18 inch deep 9 inch wide trench , fill it a foot deep with a mix of well rotted cow muck c/w the urine soaked straw  & well composted garden veg waste & cover it with  a small ridge of soil , putting a pegged line down the middle of the ridge to help me later on when I plant out.
This will become both food & a good water reservoir for the celery  .. any change in the moisture levels will be reflected in the plant very quickly .
Bean beds are made the same way with an inch thick layer of old newspaper on top of the manure then they are covered in six inches or so of earth .

Raise your celery seed starting around the end of FEB on top of the growth medium no covering it over with compost or vermiculite  put it under a glass sheet over a sheet of white paper & leave it in warm day light . It takes 18 to 30 day to germinate  , transplant the sprouted seed when they are about 2 inches long into 3 " pots ..they tend to get very matted together & are delicate  , so be careful to do it indoors at a table using a needle & the handle of a tea spoon .

By about Easter when the transplants are about four inches long  , on a dry day walk along the bottom of the tench to compact it a bit , most of the compost will have rotted down . Use a dibber & string line to set the holes five inches apart  drop a plant in each hole and like leeks water them in down the hole, don't back fill or press hard on the side of the hole .

If you are earthing them up , when the plants are showing about nine inches of stalk above the trench floor ,  wrap a paper collar around each plant and gently & lightly tie off with raffia , back fill the hole to about three inches from the top of each plant , repeat when another six inches of growth has arrived & again for the next back filling each time .
If frost is threatened  give the plants a six to nine inch blanket of netted down fresh straw ( not hay ) to stop them being hit hard by a sharp frost . You can leave it in place if snow is about to arrive  . As straw insulates  you can often easily dig a plant out when the rest of the garden is frozen rock solid ,just put the straw back over  the rest of the plants  , re -net & stake it down again.

If you get it right and the slugs don't eat them you can have fresh home grown celery on Boxing day with home cured ham salad  & various home made pickles . it's a far better taste at that time of the year than any commercially produced stuff can ever be.

A sprinkle or two year of old well weathered coal fire soot around each plant and the tubes outside helps keep slugs away . Nematode control works but is expensive to do four or five sessions per year .

Celery leaves  cut off the hand of celery can be sprinkled on a baking tray  and left in a cooling oven. Turn them around several times in the first hour and  leave then in the oven with the door closed over night,  Done so they are dry and cool in the morning . Hand rub these dried leaves use the results in soups sauces & omelette's, slip a teaspoon or three of the rubbed celery in a small jar of good quality olive oil , use a teaspoon of the seasoned oil for seasoning a frying pan prior to browning stewing meat etc. or frying sausages .

Small vacuum packed & heat sealed packets of dried hand rubbed celery leaves keep for several years , even longer if you store them in the freezer .
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 11:59:30 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 11:42:08 am »
Thanks all. Going to give it a go and see what happens.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 05:59:08 pm »
Just an update on how I have got on with the celery. The outside plants died. The weather turned very wet, cold and windy so they gave up. I had also put some in a trough inside my pollytunnel and it is doing well. I will do this next year. I  also put my strawberries inside , some in the ground ,some in hanging baskets and both have been a very good. The tomatoes in the hanging baskets working well too, just as good as the ones in pots yet the basket ones have a lot less compost. Veg outside has been pretty slow to do anything. I need to work out a plan to grow more inside I think.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 06:01:51 pm »
Yuk, I can't stand celery but might give toms and strawberries a go in hanging baskets next year
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS