Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New to keeping goats, info, hints and tips needed!  (Read 4516 times)

broughgoats

• Joined Apr 2016
New to keeping goats, info, hints and tips needed!
« on: April 19, 2016, 09:11:48 pm »
Hi there i am new to the site and will hopefully very shortly be new goat keepers too!! We are getting 2 pygmy goats and i have 2 little boys who are very very excited about their arrival. I have their area fenced off and their shed is built so i am basically just looking for any helpful into or tips you could pass on to me to help me out, having only ever kept dogs and cats before this will be a very steep learning curve!!! Also info on what feeds you use, where to buy hayracks etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks x

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: New to keeping goats, info, hints and tips needed!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 10:12:20 am »
CPH number?

Hayracks etc either from www or local farmer's merchants, or build your own. Go round your land three times and check you know all the plants the goats could have access to (even if you think it is well outwith their reach - goats WILL get out/over/under/through most kind of fences if the pput their minds to it, and they have all day to do it...) - dig out and bin all plants that may be poisonous and also tell your children not to feed them anything without showing you first... (not sure how old they are).

If these are males - they will be castrated? Disbudded - if not, make sure your children learn to handle the goats and avoid the horns (personally I woud always disbud when (human) kids are involved with goatie ones).

Register with a farm vet (ask about their knowledge of goats) and find out if there is a local goatkeeper you can turn to for advice... you will need it.

Ask about vaccination status, worming status...

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 10:15:26 am »
Ditto Anke's reply.

Never had pygmy goats but from the breeds I've got I'd say the smaller they are the better they jump and climb.
Have fun.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 10:42:56 am »
My favourite quote about goats.   Erect a fence that can hold water......  Say adios to your plants and other items otherwise  :innocent:

Hello  :wave:

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 11:25:32 am »
I started with 2 Pygmy kids and 2 little boys 16 years ago.  The Pygmy goats have now been and gone as they dies of old age 3 years ago. The boys are now young men.

The goats we didn't have debudded, but they were castrated. With Pygmies this is quite normal possibly because they are pretty docile and small and we never had any issues apart from them getting stuck in the fence when they were young. However I wouldn't disagree with Anke's point on debudding.

If they have good access to grass or hay then they really need very little feed, just a handful or two during the winter months as they are inclined to get overweight.

There is a thread on here about hay racks you should get if you search because I asked the same question a few weeks ago.
I am sure your children will want to halter train the goats, beware that they tend to sit and shake when first put on a halter so you may want to get them gently past this stage yourself before the boys get to take them along some verges for a nice snack.

We went on a goat keeping 1 day course and felt rather looked down on as they were not milking goats but nonetheless worth doing but worth checking that the course leader is on your wavelength.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 12:52:22 pm »
I am sure your children will want to halter train the goats, beware that they tend to sit and shake when first put on a halter so you may want to get them gently past this stage yourself before the boys get to take them along some verges for a nice snack.
As long as the verges are on your holding so as not to be breaking all the movement and standstill regulations that prevent spread of disease.

I echo pretty much all of the above, registering with a local vet that knows goats is probably the most important thing to do early on, as it can be hard to find one that is knowledgeable about goats, and almost impossible if you wait until you need one in an emergency! They can help you through routine care like foot trimming, vaccinating, and worming (if needed based on faecal worm egg counts)

The British goat society has a website with some really helpful information on looking after goats and diseases you should be aware of so do take a look, and feel free to ask questions here as the goats and you find your feet.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 12:59:18 pm »
For hayracks  http://www.frenchall-goats.co.uk/products/hayracks/pygmyrack.htm  or local country store or make your own. I always say young goats are like bouncy balls they may bounce out especially young ones once mature they are fine unless learned bad habits. Keep you paperwork up to date holding register medicine record, When you get them home keep them shut in their shed till they are used to you and come to you, bribery helps.Then can go out to their field. Goats love branches beech willow hazel willow herb.You do get a pygmy goat mix but pygmys don't need much they get fat easily, concentrates more for if they are in kid/ rearing kids.  Mineral licks should be available as well as hay and water. Enjoy and you never stop learning and problem solving with them. Great characters. There are lots of local goat clubs that have local goat keepers willing to give advice, seminars shows etc. Pygmy goat club could be useful for you since getting pygmys. Horn versus disbudded - personal preference there are risks either way.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 05:24:22 pm »
See if anyone near by keeps goats and go and see them and talk to them.

I started with two castrated kids last year. They have been great fun, but a pain in the butt.
Bottle feeding meant they love me and my toddler son, but they weren't happy when I wasn't there.
They refused to graze unless I stood next to them and wouldn't eat any food stuff if it was in their presence for more than about half an hour (so the hay or hung up branches were only ever half eaten). This meant I needed to feed them several times a day and they were always hungry. In the summer I took a firm line and left them out in their field for a few days and eventually broke them to grazing by themselves. They looked ready to call in sspca because they lost all their condition in this time.
Then one broke its leg so they were back in the shed for 2months and it was winter. Then one ate something poisonous and had to be put down, so have a replacement wether. They are getting on fine and new goat has taught mine how to be more goaty.
They love walks, and collars, head collars, harnesses, long reining, etc has been fine. But I had no idea any well animal could be SO fussy about eating.  hope you have better luck than me!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 12:16:27 am »
A word of warning: goats are addictive and great time wasters. I can't imagine being without mine.  :goat: :goat:

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 06:30:16 am »
But Steph Hen don't you know 'goats eat anything' ::)

Sounds like you've had a very tricky year, hope things have settled down now.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 06:46:34 am »
But Steph Hen don't you know 'goats eat anything' ::)

Goats will eat anything BUT what you would like them to eat.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 10:47:12 pm »
They'll eat anything THEY like not necessarily what you want them to like.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 07:24:14 pm »
Hi there i am new to the site and will hopefully very shortly be new goat keepers too!! We are getting 2 pygmy goats and i have 2 little boys who are very very excited about their arrival. I have their area fenced off and their shed is built so i am basically just looking for any helpful into or tips you could pass on to me to help me out, having only ever kept dogs and cats before this will be a very steep learning curve!!! Also info on what feeds you use, where to buy hayracks etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks x
Whereabouts are you? Maybe someone on here could be your local goat buddy, or even neighboir!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 09:15:58 pm »

Thanks x
Whereabouts are you? Maybe someone on here could be your local goat buddy, or even neighboir!

Looks like broughgoats has already lost interest... at least no replies at all?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS