Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Calf losing hair on her rump  (Read 2536 times)

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
Calf losing hair on her rump
« on: April 14, 2016, 07:34:41 am »
I have a 3 week old hand reared calf who has a couple of bald patches on her rump, below and on either side of the base of her tail. That area is frequently wet since she pees while laying down ( as well as when standing up!). She is having 6 litres of milk replacer per day. Could this hair loss be caused by urine?
( this is the same calf as in the "Basic calf info" post below. Thanks.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Calf losing hair on her rump
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 08:25:59 am »
Yes, and the leaking when she is lying suggests a problem with the tubes, likely a ureter (tube from kidney to bladder) that bypasses the bladder sphincter, so she cannot turn off the flow of urine.
It is not likely to get better, and urine scalding can cause nasty sores on the back legs and will attract flies.
Consult your vet who can have a better idea if he sees her in the flesh but I would think it probably kinder to put her out her misery before it gets worse.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 11:40:28 am »
I have never heard or seen this and def sounds serious. I know nothing about the health of this calf but doesnt sound right at all.

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 09:39:50 pm »
Oh dear, she has had a very bad start but I thought we had turned a corner - certainly her feeding and strength are no longer of concern. Anyway, thank you for the likely diagnosis, I will contact my vet and the owner tomorrow and take the appropriate action.

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 07:20:59 am »
Just an update on this calf. Consulted the vet and he felt she had lost bladder control as a result of infection. He prescribed some a/b and Metacam and lo and behold she dried out and regained control. No more peeing laying down. She pee'd out lumps of coagulated pus for a few days, but then this stopped and she seems fine now, galloping around in the sunshine. Result! ( 'til the next thing).

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 08:19:50 am »
Well done - that IS good news :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS