Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A re-intro :)  (Read 2465 times)

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
A re-intro :)
« on: April 12, 2016, 11:37:56 am »
Hi All,

I feel like I should do a re-intro as it's been a very long time since I was last active on here. When I first joined this forum I was 28 and living in leicestershire. I'm very soon to be 34, and about to *finally* move to a smallholding in Devon. I think this first became a dream in roughly 2002 ish, when I met my first welsh farmers. 14 years on, and it's actually happening!

We have previously rented land and kept sheep and pigs (and even a highland cow and calf for a while!) during our time in leicestershire, but all of that ended in around 2008/2009 so that we could concentrate on saving money.

The new place is a real fixer-upper (as it'd have to be to make it affordable!). 26 acres of beautiful south facing land, but not a useable bit of fencing in sight! No agri buildings either, so the expense will be constant for a while.

Rough plan for the coming months:

move in
Build barn
fence everything
hedge lay
top, roll, harrow, etc
get goats (english / old english are the favourite at the moment)
get sheep (white face woodland ewes hopefully, plus a bunch of local breed ewes)
get pigs (large blacks are top of my list - previously had a variety, berkshires being the most memorable)
improve dated and damp house :s

I look forward to being a more active forum member.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: A re-intro :)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 02:25:51 pm »
Hi not sure whether we have spoken before on the forum, but welcome :wave: I am glad that you're taking the plunge; It all sounds very exciting. Here's wishing you all the best for the future. :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 05:46:43 pm »
 :wave:from North Lincolnshire.  Sounds fantastic. Look forward to updates :thumbsup:

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 08:01:04 pm »
Hi not sure whether we have spoken before on the forum, but welcome :wave: I am glad that you're taking the plunge; It all sounds very exciting. Here's wishing you all the best for the future. :thumbsup:

?

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 08:29:42 pm »
A warm welcome from Devon. Whereabouts will you be?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 09:03:43 pm »
Welcome back and congratulations on yoru new adventure :thumbsup:

It's good to have a plan - but don't forget to celebrate the progress you've made. It's easy to focus on what still needs to be done rather than what you have achieved. I speak from personal experience here  ::)

I couldn't do it in the order you are- I'd have to do the house first  :)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 12:00:44 am »
 :wave: and welcome back. It sounds like you have a real adventure ahead of you.  :excited: :excited:

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 08:18:37 am »
Thanks all!

[member=89885]devonlady[/member] - just west of tiverton, only by a few miles.

[member=13]Rosemary[/member] - yes I can see how it could well be one mamouth challenge into the next..... I'll quote your name when my other half asks why I'm drinking cocktails when there's fencing to be done ;) In all seriousness - point is certainly taken, and agreed upon. :)

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 09:39:12 am »
And another welcome from a rather soggy Somerset. (Only 30 mins from Tiverton).

Having done something similar to you (although on a smaller scale) I would agree with Rosemary. When you are exhausted (and often wet ::) )after a hard day's fencing it is important that at least part of your house is warm, dry and comfortable. So you might want to move it a bit higher up your list. After all, if you don't look after yourselves, how are you going to look after your land and animals? :)

Good luck with your project and let us know how you get on.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS