Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cockerel and the law Scotland?  (Read 15728 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Cockerel and the law Scotland?
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2016, 02:38:40 pm »
Just to keep you all up to date, the neighbours were back Saturday, the police were called the neighbour bow has an official warning for their behaviour..

So today I find a card through my door from the Sspca wanting to inspect my animals..

Aargh...

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2016, 03:28:55 pm »
Aargh indeed

Did the Sspca give you a date/time for their visit? or was it a 'please phone to make arrangements'.  Am assuming it is just your hens they are wanting to look at

Now that your neighbour has had an official warning for their behaviour, that surely should stand you in good stead for any inspection of your animals, especially since the environmental health chappie raised no concerns.

Unfortunately some people are just idiots and nothing will change them

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2016, 03:33:34 pm »
It's going to come down to my stubbornness vs my anxiety.

No idea which will win currently.

It was a card through to phone, am currently waiting for them to return my call...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2016, 04:11:55 pm »
You are under NO obligation to let the SSPCA onto your holding. If they are serious, they need to get the police onto it too - unlikely under the circumstances, and I would have thought unless there is serious reason to suspect maltreatment they are not interested/haven't got the resources/and in your case are already aware of the situation.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2016, 04:45:38 pm »
Tell them when you speak to them that your neighbour has had a police warning.  They probably won't bother coming if they know that as it was most likely him who called them
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2016, 05:29:06 pm »
So today I find a card through my door from the Sspca wanting to inspect my animals..

If they do come knocking you have 2 choices:

1. Polite and firm 'No thank you.' And close the door / walk away. If they persist send them a written complaint for harassment.

2. Answer questions, let them see you're a responsible owner, and that there's no problem.

Personally I like the first option. They have no more right to enter your property, or handle or remove your livestock than any ordinary member of the public. If you let them in you're assuming they are going to be reasonable, and there are no guarantees that'll happen.

Without a police warrant they cannot insist on anything.

If they come back with the police, make sure they have a warrant. They almost certainly won't in your case.

If they do, check what the warrant says - it is unlikely to name the SSPCA officer(s), so you can continue to refuse them entry. The police will ask some questions, have a look around and leave.

And film it on your phone too - then we can all watch afterwards.  :)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2016, 08:54:45 pm »
gah, nothing to say except I am sorry you are having this undeserved agro.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2016, 10:57:54 pm »
Personally I like the first option

Whereas as long as they sounded reasonable, I'd definitely go with the second!

What a nightmare for you Bloomer. I hope it gets resolved soon  :fc: . Nil illegitimi carborundum.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2016, 09:34:47 am »
The SSPCA can be a nightmare - although not from my personal experience. A uniform and a badge and some folk become the Stasi.

Hang in there, David.  :hug:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2016, 01:03:58 pm »
I am going for the compromise plan I have warned the inspector she is welcome to visit as my guest but that I am fully aware of the law and I am only doing this as it is part of an ongoing harassment situation and I don't want her time wasted in the future...
She was polite and reasonable on the phone so we'll see...
Will report back later :-D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2016, 01:07:13 pm »
Good plan.  Remember to tell her your neighbour has had a police warning
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2016, 02:21:22 pm »
Sspca lady was lovely, commented how happy and healthy all our animals are and will log it as an unwarranted concern. Any further calls will be dealt with over the phone more to keep me informed as to any ongoing issues.

Let's see what the neighbours try next....

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2016, 09:12:34 pm »
Just a thought but if it continues you may have grounds for pursuing them for harassment and if you can get documented information on what they are saying about you to others possibly also slander.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2016, 09:15:44 pm »
I'm ahead of you, getting evidence is hard as all the referrals and complaints are protected by data protection etc. But the police are dealing with it so we just report everything and hopefully eventually we'll have enough to prosecute..

Frankly I'd settle for them just shutting up and leaving us to our lives...

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2016, 09:38:16 pm »
Data Protection is very misunderstood and often used as something to hide behind when someone isn't sure whether they can share information they have (or doesn't want to).

You are entitled under the Act to find out what information organisations hold about you and although some can be withheld it is quite limited. If they have taken a complaint about you then by default they are holding information about you which you should be able to see. Of course the complaint may have been anonymous or they may withhold the name of the complainant but it might help.

https://www.gov.uk/data-protection/find-out-what-data-an-organisation-has-about-you

But yes, I agree, sometimes you just want your peace back.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS