Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New Book - Viable Self Sufficiency: Target reached  (Read 10789 times)

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Re: New Book - Viable Self Sufficiency
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 05:15:52 pm »
Signed up :)

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 11:21:13 am »
Thanks to everyone who's supported the publishers so far. Remember you're not only getting a great book at below cover price, but also looking after one of the only UK (Scottish) printers that still print hardback books.

Without them, everything will have to go to China to be printed, which would be really sad.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 12:42:32 pm »
Very pleased to have the opportunity.  My OH will be sitting with the sheep book tomorrow on lamb watch while I run into the big city for a meeting.....  It is one of the best practical books I have ever had the pleasure to read and use.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 01:39:52 pm »
So can it be reasonably assumed then that the way to viable self sufficiency is writing books and getting crowdfunded?

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 03:03:20 pm »
No - I wouldn't like to think that anyone would consider writing a book on such a subject unless they had actually done it so could speak from first hand experience.

The crowd funding will only to cover a small proportion of the production costs - it's a big investment for a small publisher.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 06:00:48 pm »
No - I wouldn't like to think that anyone would consider writing a book on such a subject unless they had actually done it so could speak from first hand experience.

The crowd funding will only to cover a small proportion of the production costs - it's a big investment for a small publisher.
I do appreciate that you have many years experience. Unlike some who write in magazines etc and run courses.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 06:16:37 pm »
So can it be reasonably assumed then that the way to viable self sufficiency is writing books and getting crowdfunded?

I can't decide if this is meant to be funny or is just plain bloody ignorant.  ???

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2016, 10:53:34 am »
Hughsey, I agree that there are an awful lot of people running courses and writing books who don't really know what they are talking about. There are too many cases of the blind leading the blind in the smallholding fraternity.

Luckily, anyone who buys this book (or supports the crowd-funding) will get some guidance from those with excellent eyesight. :)

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2016, 03:50:31 pm »

I can't decide if this is meant to be funny or is just plain bloody ignorant.  ???
Not ignorant. Rude maybe ;D. I though it was humorous but then I'm tiny minded and luckily not easily offended.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2016, 04:37:52 pm »
Actually it did make me smile Hughesy, and I'm pleased that VSS gave such a straightforward and considered response, without firing back at you.

It's well known that in the Gold Rush, the folks who made the most money weren't the prospectors, but those selling picks, shovels and dreams to the hopeful masses. Perhaps smallholding isn't so different?  :-J

Honestly though? Anybody who publishes a book like this hoping to get rich needs their head examined. So, since I'm sure that isn't VSS's motivation for publishing (and frankly even if it was), I wish this venture all the best.

We're 70% of the way there now, with only another 75 pledges of support needed to make this happen. Come on folks!  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2016, 06:33:14 pm »
Thanks for the good wishes Womble.

There's a huge amount of work gone into this book both from ourselves and the publishers - we all want it to be a success.

We're making progress with the crowdfunding - just another 30% needed to make the target

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2016, 12:06:19 pm »
A question for VSS - is this project going to go ahead even if you are unsuccessful with the kickstart element?
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2016, 07:43:18 pm »
I don't think getting paid for passing on your knowledge is incompatible with self sufficiency. And if no one was prepared to do it those of us who learn book in hand would struggle even more.  But I too smile at the self sufficiency business model where by people with limited experience run courses for people with even less experience.

Looking forward to the book and crowd funding is a great way to do it.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2016, 05:04:18 pm »
A question for VSS - is this project going to go ahead even if you are unsuccessful with the kickstart element?

It'll make the difference between having it printed by a quality small company in the UK, which is in keeping with the sustainability ethos of the book, or having to reduce the size of it, cutting out a lot of information and having to send it to China for printing.

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2016, 07:20:17 pm »
I'm enjoying reading The Sheep Book at the moment hoping we can finally get land sorted this spring.

It would be a great shame if the book had to have chunks of wisdom and experience cut just to reduce production costs.

Please drop me a line if it isn't fully funded by the end of the month - I'll happily fund a second copy as a gift for someone likeminded if it is still needed by then.

Magnus

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS