Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Jumped in with geese  (Read 7128 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Jumped in with geese
« on: January 23, 2016, 04:57:35 pm »
I may have started my smallholding with a rookie mistake.

Neighbour across the way just moved but kept his half acre field. He took his chickens and cockerel but left a young cockerel and 3 geese. He popped by today and said if we want the geese we can have them. If we want the cockerel take him too or else leave him for the foxes.  :(

My heart bled, and we had thought of geese to keep the grass down, and sheep aren't on the horizon. So after some comical herding/catching we have 3 geese and a cockerel. We have a very small shelter and water in the field but nothing else.

What do I need? I imagine I need to get some form of overnight shelter for the cockerel soon. I would think that they need worming as his husbandry didn't look great.

Such a rookie mistake I know.  :-[

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Jumped in with geese
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 05:11:15 pm »
The geese will probably be fine. Fox proof housing, plenty of grass and a scoop of grain or layer's pellets and they pretty much look after themselves.  Ours have an old grp shower tray (quite deep) that gets fresh water daily.

Oh, and give them some sheltered places to lay, as they'll soon be starting to think about it.

I reckon your only rookie mistake was the cockerel (and to say 'leave him for the foxes', or I suppose starve to death is just inexcusable). Personally I would feel no guilt about giving him several hours in a low oven with a covering of vegetables and cider, but of course your mileage may vary!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 05:13:06 pm »
Well done for stepping in.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 05:33:47 pm »
Thanks guys.

They had no housing in that field and it was starting to get fairly muddy and was covered in geese poop. Looked like a very sorry state.

The grass is quite long in the field as it was cut last July by the previous owners but has been ungrazed since then. Do I need to worm them?

Also just checked on the mixed corn I bought and it's riddled with black bugs :-/ think I won't be buying from there again.

Oh and we figured a trip to the pot was a better fate than what his previous owner had for him. Might see about getting him some female friends but if not then he will be pot bound.

Dans
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 07:21:21 pm by Dans »

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 07:33:14 pm »
I like mine to be in and safe at nights, there have been a couple of close calls with daylight fox attacks,
I like my geese, i don't think you've made a mistake, as long as they aren't all ganders :-).
Mine get fed at night in their hut, wheat, mixed flake or bread, sometimes + veg peelings, cooked potato skins etc. they wait near the hut for their supper, in snow they get breakfast as well.
How big is their field?  You've obviously noticed they can be messy, once read somewhere they poop every 4 minutes! Good nitrogen for garden compost though  :)
Don't know what to suggest for the Cockerell apart from the obvious, unless there is a high perch in the goose hut.

Blondie

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 08:30:34 pm »
As a short term and cheap solution you could get a rabbit hutch for the cockerel. At least he will be safer at night and there are usually quite a few going cheap on gumtree type sites.

No idea about geese.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 08:55:12 pm »
Looks like they are all girls if I've got the breed right. Think they are pilgrims, will post a pic tomorrow.

They are all in a 1 acre field. The shelter the previous owner was just two bits of plywood nailed together into a triangle. Will look at getting them something better asap.

Would geese be ok with a shed?

Dans

www.sixoaks.co.uk

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 10:21:33 pm »
I would think anything that you can safely shut at night and is not accessible to foxes/badgers. So a small garden shed with some ventilation holes cut in high will do, that's what ours have. A daily big bucket of fresh water until you get some kind of pond arrangement (like a children's play pit for example), so they can at least dunk their heads under. Mine get flaked maize, just a handful twice a day, in the evenings it gets them into their shed. Other than that geese are pretty easy. Some straw/hay in their shed will encourage them to build a nest to start laying, sometime in February/March - if they are females. BUt if you have no gander the eggs will of course not be of any use...

Well cockerel maybe would be best in coq-au-vin...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 10:43:13 pm »
BUt if you have no gander the eggs will of course not be of any use...

Apart from eating!   :hungry: :yum:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 12:50:32 pm »
If they are pilgrims I'm envious  :), I'd love something different than my whites, i have one smaller fawn girl,
I have a 10x6 garden shed,  with a third sectioned off inside, and a pop hole in the end,  4 live in there, 2 in another 4x5 hen hut. They do need cleaning out a lot, esp in winter, I'd like a smaller hut with a mesh floor, that I could move round the field, yet to design that .
For water I use a plastic bucket that had sheep lick in, nice and deep, wide and stable, like ducks they need to be able to get their eyes under water, i also sometimes throw whole wheat in there, they enjoy dabbling for it. On the big shed I have a piece of guttering, which runs into another tub, saves having to keep filling it.
There is a hut design which is 'A' shaped,  but has front and back so safer. (That's an idea for my moveable portable manuring system ?.
Eggs are great for baking, i find them a bit strong in omelette and scrambled egg, but still good and quick meal  :hungry:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 02:02:39 pm »
Dans, I love my geese, though no-one else does! You will become so fond of them. I remember my Mother telling me that in the last war the village veg and produce show had a class for the best sponge cake using one egg.
 My Auntie Maggie entered one that had risen up like a dream and was rounded upon--Maggie that was never one egg you used---Oh, yes it was said Maggie, it was a goose egg!!
Enjoy your geese!

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 02:04:29 pm »
I kept geese last year with no prior experience and it went quite well- I did lose one early on (suspected worms) and another later (suspected fox). I made them a house from old palettes and a bit of scrap tin, but they would only ever go into it if I herded them in. They also had use of a mobile shelter made from an old pickup canopy, with some extra walls and a floor added.
Mine were all ganders and whilst they never attacked me, I wasn't too sorry when the time came to get rid of them, they had outstayed their welcome!
I'm sure you'll be fine as they seem quite hardy and pretty much look after themselves.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 05:34:43 pm »

We don't like goose eggs for direct eating, the fried version just really didn't appeal to me...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 10:31:18 am »

We don't like goose eggs for direct eating, the fried version just really didn't appeal to me...

Well, I made a frittata with a goose egg I was given by a friend, and we loved it  :yum:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 10:52:10 pm »
Pubs used to sell pickled goose eggs.
I used to do some and they made a nice sandwich later in the year.
If you can time the boiled egg bit right there is an amazing amount of yolk to dunk into :-)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS