Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Solar panels and golf balls  (Read 2844 times)

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
Solar panels and golf balls
« on: January 19, 2016, 11:02:15 pm »
I am  considering having a few on my paddock which is grazed by sheep..however my son is a keen golfer and likes to practice round the fields.When he was young I had a conservatory put on the north side of the house as it would have never survived the cricket tennis (they get stuck in the guttering)and golf balls from him and his brother on the south side of the house..I did loose a panel in a window to a cricket ball..when they were in their late teens!!!!
Does anyone have any experience of ground mounted panels and what can damage them.
Also whats the present tariff.
Have got the water heating panels on my roof but am very protective of my welsh slates and a 10 year guarantee I consider to be a poor deal.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 09:08:50 am by juliem »

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Panels and golf balls
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 02:05:27 am »
Might have been a bit clearer if you'd said solar panels ?  ;)

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Solar panels and golf balls
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 09:12:34 am »
Sorry..point taken now modifide

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 10:57:47 am »
Tariffs

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/feed-tariff-scheme-tariff-table-1-january-2016-pv-only

A golf ball hit with some force could definitely damage a panel

There are lots of 'dodgy' roof installations but slate is not a problem if done properly with lead flashings; see our blog

http://lizburton.co.uk/wordpress/work-on-the-smallholding/the-pv-solar-panels-are-fitted-to-generate-electricity/

The roofer who did it is now getting a lot of work from failed roof installations where they were poorly installed.

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 06:48:07 pm »
Thanks for that..had a chap out today..estimate for ground mounted £ 7.500 (maximum is that 4kw)
The tariff is under 5p now and I don't really use that much electricity as woodburner/solar for water/oil central heating.
I've always had reservations about anyone working on my slate roof....they are original welsh slates and the nice thing about them is that moss/gunge never sticks to them. The roof was refurbished in 1980 and I can remember the problems we had drilling holes in the slates and some of them splitting .We had problems sourcing good second hand slates then.
A ten year guarantee as far as a roof is concerned is pretty poor value.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS