Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Urgent advice please  (Read 5581 times)

caz

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Urgent advice please
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 10:14:14 am »
Yeah unfortunately this is the only 'exotics' vet in the area. All the rest wouldn't have a clue if it's not a cat or dog. Her wounds are nasty I agree which is why he kinda gave me that ultimatum initially cos he felt she just wouldn't survive otherwise.  It's still touch and go. They have gave me 3 days worth of antibiotics I have to inject her with and also a silver based cream to apply every day .
I hunted in the garden for earth worms but she's not eating them but last night she started eating pellets and drinking water by herself which was excellent to see.
She's started coming out her rabbit hutch herself and into the passage but then just stands there looking at her reflection in the door glass so I gave her a mirror to look at.
She started clucking loud at it I'm not sure if that's a happy sound or what? ? :: ???

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 10:50:10 am »
Eating pellets and drinking water, and moving about, seem like very good signs to me  :fc:

I'm sure you do have grit for her?  She'll need that in her crop.  And would probably benefit from a small amount of wheat (whole grain) at bedtime, also for crop health.

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for her!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

caz

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 11:01:38 am »
Yes we've got grit for her too. She has constant supply of 'mixed corn' would that be the whole wheat?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 10:24:32 pm »
Mixed corn is a mixture of grains, of which some will be wheat. 

As I understand it, wheat is best fed, on its own, whole, before bed, when the whole hard grains will help the bird process what's in its crop overnight. 

If they eat wheat in the morning, it'll fill them up, and they won't forage (or eat pellets) as they should for optimum nutrition, not to mention getting some exercise.

With your hen not having her appetite back completely, I thought it would be a good idea to make sure she has some wheat to help her crop work.  Also, they usually seem to love wheat above almost everything else. ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 05:48:32 pm »
a few raisins and/or some split grapes or a teaspoon of boiled cooked rice are all yummy. x
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

caz

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2016, 03:19:00 pm »
Well she survived after all . She is currently still a house chicken and makes herself at home in my parents kitchen . We are going to bring her friend up to live in the garden with her once the last of her wounds have healed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS