Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: soap making?  (Read 17895 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
soap making?
« on: April 21, 2010, 11:28:22 am »
does anyone make their own soap? I'd like to have a go with our goats milk. have heard its good for sensitive skin and my little girls have exzema.
not sure what to buy and don't want to go down the route of ebay 'kits' that will cost an arm and leg  ::)
also looking for good books that are preferably UK so that I don't have to worry about working out US measurements (not with my ditzy brain!)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
Re: soap making?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 12:44:59 pm »
This is a shot in the dark

http://www.littlecotesoap.co.uk/contact_feedback.asp?bl=0

They are a local firm where i live and i always buy my free range eggs from them, as you can see they are very well established with products in some pretty upmarket places. May be worth just giving them a call and picking their brains from one 'farmer' to another??? sorry if it turns out to be a waste of time  :pig: :wave:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 02:20:43 pm »
that's great - thank you  :)

just been to a local country park/garden centre and noticed they stock a lot of cows milk soaps and products too.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 02:56:39 pm »
they make gin and tonic soap!! fantastic! i'm gettting lots of ideas - how about plum wine soap?!

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 03:01:28 pm »
how about plum wine ice-cubes  :o :pig:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 04:05:21 pm »
excellent idea!! must remember to keep them separate from the kids ribena ice cubes though  ;D

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 04:09:44 pm »
or maybe not if you want a good night sleep.

Can you imagine, set the scene

Plumseverywhere and OH sat enjoying glass of plum wine with some 'special ice cubes' to cool it down on a hot day in April, OH says 'hey love this wine really tastes like ribena, i thought it was plum?' Plums says 'Oh 5hit the kids are going to sleep well tonight' LOL you just knwo that mix up is waiting to happen  :o :pig:

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 04:15:28 pm »
I've always fancied making soap - but just never seem to have the time to get round to it (and a lack of goats milk might have something to do with it too) ;)
Will be very interested to hear how you get on plums.
The only thing worth mentioning is if you're planning on selling any of it you'll need to get registered - more about that here http://www.thesoapkitchen.co.uk/certification.htm
This is an easy to follow reciepe for goats milk soap, but I'm sure there will be tonnes out there http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_5630046_make-white-goat_s-milk-soap.html
Good luck and do let us know how you get on.
Karen x

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 04:32:49 pm »
LOL Winslow porker - that's classic!! the night these kids sleep well will be the day I go teetotal  ;) so hey, might be worth getting mixed up!!

thank you for the links Karen, thats great - only like I'd found made orange soap that didn't look too appealing! interesting to know about the certificate, am wondering if its similar to the jam making one I was looking into getting if I keep making jam (the plums keep creeping into the wine !!)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 04:34:21 pm »
having read part of the certificate link, am now rapidly changing mind - the words professional indemnity insurance leapt out at me LOL!!

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 04:45:32 pm »
Plums if you are getting into jams i found this supplier to be one of the cheaper, but will put another post in coffee lounge to get more feedback

http://www.bottlesandjars.co.uk/index.html
 Just email them and they will send you through a price list

HappyHippy

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 06:29:40 pm »
Yes Plums, I thought "soap making, lovely crafty hobby to have - I could sell them at boot sales" ...................... right up til I read all the legalities of it. Even using ready made kits they have to inspect you and you've got all the hassle as if you were producing cosmetics.
BUT if it's just for your own use and to give as gifts you don't need to worry about getting registered - only if you're selling it.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 07:22:42 pm »
Thanks WP - that's very useful. will do more jams this year, last year was mainly plum (surprise surprise!!) and rhubarb and ginger jam. also a few chutneys. this year I aim to get to the strawberries before my children have the lot again!

Karen, I think i will stick with giving them as gifts for a while (after i've tested them on my human G/pig aka hubby!!)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 10:55:46 pm »
Hi Plums,

I have been looking into making goats milk soap too. I have now gathered all the equipment and ingredients, and am ready to have a try at making it. I got a book, just from amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Milk-Soapmaking-Simple-Buttermilk-Coconut/dp/0938497456/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271886570&sr=1-1

I did find it quite hard to find some of the ingredients, and did have to resort to the internet, though I avoided ebay as I found it expensive, and full of pour and mold soap kits, which is not what you want.

You do need to register and obtain your certificate if you want to sell your produce, but if you want to make it for your own use, or to give a few bars as presents, you don't need to.

I know this lady too http://www.carolmcmillansoaps.co.uk/ as she bought two of my goats for more milk. Her website is quite handy, and her phone number is on the site. Oh and her workshop is fantastic!

If I have enough free time this weekend, I might try a batch of soap actually.

Beth

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 06:59:40 am »
Thanks Beth  :) will get hold of that book from amazon and I'm glad you've mentioned ebay being pricey as that will encourage me to look further afield.
WOuld love to know how you get on with your first batch if you get time this w/end.
Lisa x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS