Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gosling with a cold  (Read 1871 times)

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Gosling with a cold
« on: November 26, 2015, 04:06:55 pm »
I have a little Chinese gosling that has caught a cold so has a runny nose and raspy breathing. She eats and drinks fine but she is a bit smaller than the rest. I have been given ABs but do you think I should separate her from her syblings or just give them all the abs in their water anyway? Vet said it won't hurt them but I wanted to see if anyone else has experience. They are 8 weeks old.

Thanks! !

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Gosling with a cold
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 05:50:24 pm »
Did the vet say what it was?  I'd suspect mycoplasma.  Did the gosling hatch on site or was it bought in?  Stress of rehousing lowers the immune system and, particularly if the home flock has suffered myco in the past, the naive new stock is infected.  Once the geese have it they will be carriers for life and similarly affect further new stock.  Myco will lower resistance to any other diseases it encounters.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Re: Gosling with a cold
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 07:08:46 pm »
She was born on the place and developed the sniffle after a cold snap. All the others are totally fine. She is a little smaller so that's why I think she was effected and the others weren't... The vet thought it was a cold

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS