Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Puppy eating sheep poo  (Read 6829 times)

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
Puppy eating sheep poo
« on: November 25, 2015, 07:34:24 am »
Our new 3 month old Sprocker boy has a real appetite for sheep poo and since we are surrounded by sheep fields and the public footpath goes around the largest, it's a struggle with him when walking - although he's always on the lead. I try try to stop him as best I can, but he still gets some.
I know this is fairly common, so what do people do to stop it, and is it harmful to dogs? Can sheep worm eggs develop in dogs? Thanks.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Puppy eating sheep poo
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 08:02:06 am »
Sheep worms don't harm dogs ( but dog tapeworm can harm sheep).

We hav a 7 month old Corgi and he eats sheep, cattle and horse poo in vast quantities. He seems fine  :)

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 08:06:52 am »
Our aging springer has eaten sheep poo all his life. Because its a disgusting  habit we always stop him but I'm fairly sure he's devoured several tonnes over the years when we weren't looking. I was once told it was suggestive of something lacking in his diet, tho god knows what ( sheep poo probably!). Never come to any harm, tho the sight of those slimy green chops looming in for a kiss.......yuck

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 09:06:47 am »
I have been told that it's how dogs get vegetable matter unto their digestive system since their "Normal" carnivorous diet wouldn't have much.

Bit like eating grass except someone else has eaten it first :-)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 11:08:08 am »
Look the other way!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 01:01:10 pm »
As others have said, it's a natural way for a dog to get fibre in its diet.  If you really can't bear it, try giving him more vegetable matter in his diet; it may help.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 01:07:30 pm »
My lot do the same, roll in it given the chance and then look very please with themselves. I always cook extra veg so they get in their food.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 01:23:42 pm »
I try to discourage as well, but it happens. The bigger challenge is stopping the dog kissing me at the end of the walk! I know where that tongue has been!
________
Caroline

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 01:52:56 pm »
Don't try to discourage it - you'll just make your dogs either paranoid, frightened or all the more determined to eat it.  :innocent:   Ignore it! Or distract them if you like.  Won't do them any harm. Nothing missing in the diet, that's just a rumour - all four of my Brittanys are fed the same - two of them are snackers, the other two ignore it!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 02:35:12 pm »
Thank you all for those very helpful and reassuring comments.
 I will ignore it as suggested and wait to see what comes out his other end with interest!
Thanks again.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 10:31:25 am »
"leave it" is a very useful command to teach. You can then apply it to all sorts, such as passing livestock, not picking up rotting rabbit, not going near another dog or eating poo.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS