Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dandruff & scabs. Why?  (Read 1679 times)

Dave Marr

• Joined Oct 2015
Dandruff & scabs. Why?
« on: November 23, 2015, 05:10:26 pm »
 :goat:
My two 7 month old male kids have very dry skin around their ears, eyes and nose. Apart from this they are very well in themselves, eating and drinking normally. The dry skin has caused scabs around their ears and nose, almost like eczema. I have taken them to the vet, she did a skin scraping and told me there were no signs of lice but the way the hair was broken she felt was evidence of lice. However, following the three injections of Dectomax over a period of 8 weeks there has been no improvement. I have today bathed them with antimicrobial shampoo. Anybody else experienced something similar?

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: Dandruff & scabs. Why?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 08:07:56 pm »
What breed are they, as if I remember right pygmy goats can have a hereditary skin problem like psorisis in people it is especially on head, zinc and sometimes steriods may help. Also possibility's of vitamin mineral deficiency such as zinc. Also could be hormonal if lice mites ringworm ruled out.Try put some zinc oxide nappy cream on that will help sooth the skin til you and vet can pinpoint the cause. Maybe a vitamin / mineral drench may help.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 08:09:59 pm by Talana »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS