Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Badgers  (Read 5696 times)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Badgers
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2015, 10:21:02 am »
Fox hunting wasn't banned because the push for legislation came from bodies such as the RSPCA who were funded by the upper classes. Cruelty to animals was seen as a problem of the lower classes who needed their morals improved by the social reformers  ::)
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2015, 10:58:07 am »
The thing is what can you do? No matter what you try to do to turn the rule around you have idiots like Brian may who do not understand, or care, about the environment (personally I think he does it for the publicity) and its the lack of care or consideration for not only the farmers and livestock but also the whole eco system. You hear scientists (who're another complete joke as well) who talk about balancing the eco system and how important it all is and yet they refuse to deal with a massive problem. The government would save a lot of money if they just gave permission to the farmers to kill the badgers their own way, also it would save money on the badger cull and the stupid people who are rights for badgers wouldn't be able to stop you from doing it because they wouldn't know when you where doing it or where. Here is my proposal, give farmers the permission to kill badgers on their own land, but at the end of every days hunting they have to put the carcasses in a pile and then someone counts them and brings the numbers back to the government about how many are killed, that way it will be monitored so that the population isn't completely wiped out, but is kept at a low level. Also take them off protected species list, same as the gulls. Isn't it weird how everyone loves the badgers and hates the gulls and yet they're both protected species? Another step would be to get rid of the people who work for the RSPCA and train new recruits properly to deal with animal cruelty and they have to abide by the laws of the land, after all they where created by people who genuinely cared about animals, not the idiots who run it today, blackmailing people with sob stories to donate, I would rather give to the blue cross than to them, at least they look after the animals. These people need to be controlled to stop them from harassing the people who keep animals, maybe who are limping slightly.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2015, 11:14:59 am »
The government would save a lot of money if they just gave permission to the farmers to kill the badgers their own way, also it would save money on the badger cull and the stupid people who are rights for badgers wouldn't be able to stop you from doing it because they wouldn't know when you where doing it or where. Here is my proposal, give farmers the permission to kill badgers on their own land

Steady on, that sounds like common sense..........we don't do that  :-J

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2015, 03:27:38 pm »
[member=35918]Me[/member] I am curious now about your background as I don't often come across people who know about this area ( I need a nosey old git emoticon here  ;D )

I may or may not have completed more than one animal welfare related degrees and be an animal rights nut job. I may or may not own a sharp spade a pack of terriers and go everywhere dressed like a paramilitary - you may never know which is true ;)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2015, 03:28:37 pm »

Interesting that fox hunting and grouse shooting wasn't banned too.  :sofa:
[/quote]

YOU said not controversial!!!!  :huff:

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2015, 03:35:42 pm »

I may or may not have completed more than one animal welfare related degrees and be an animal rights nut job. I may or may not own a sharp spade a pack of terriers and go everywhere dressed like a paramilitary - you may never know which is true ;)

I think we need a poll to see which one everybody believes  ;D .

Any other suggestions for what Me is really like  :innocent:
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 01:55:47 pm »
When I was young, we hardly saw any badgers.  Now, I do not bat an eyelid, as they go past me in the field when I am feeding the livestock.  Well, yes, I do bat an eyelid the following morning, when they have pushed their way under the stock netting as they insist on going over the same place every night.

I never really bothered about them, until the farm we used to have became victim of TB, along with a number of other farms in the area.  Farms here are now on 6 monthly checks for the cattle.

What really interests me is someone who had signs in her garden proclaiming to save the badgers, and saying they did not have TB has now trained to trap and inject badgers for TB, so maybe she has changed her mind, I don't know.

What I do know, is we are over run in this area with badgers. I assume it is still illegal to shoot them, but am sure some farmers were given a licence to shoot some to cull the numbers when the TB issue arose  When someone shot a badger in my field last winter, the one I suspected of getting in my bantam house and killing them, I reported it to the Police, really because I was concerned about my livestock.  The Police did not seem to be aware about the protected status of the badger.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2015, 02:12:35 pm »

When someone shot a badger in my field last winter, the one I suspected of getting in my bantam house and killing them, I reported it to the Police, really because I was concerned about my livestock.  The Police did not seem to be aware about the protected status of the badger.

Sorry, don't understand your post, you asked the man to shoot the suspect then reported it? Or you were concerned the gunman would shoot your stock?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2015, 04:46:01 pm »

When someone shot a badger in my field last winter, the one I suspected of getting in my bantam house and killing them, I reported it to the Police, really because I was concerned about my livestock.  The Police did not seem to be aware about the protected status of the badger.

Sorry, don't understand your post, you asked the man to shoot the suspect then reported it? Or you were concerned the gunman would shoot your stock?
I think, I sort of remember the post, that they were not happy about people coming onto their land with guns, especially without permission. I think it was the middle of the night also when it was shot. They found it dead and as far as am aware I don't think they had asked anyone to shoot it, they just found it dead on their land, but where concerned about people coming onto the land at night with guns and without permission, hence why they reported it to the police, not for the badgers safety but their own. Tell me if am wrong someone
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 04:49:04 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2015, 11:01:20 am »
I think you are right WBF.
Persons going on your land without permission (England) is simple trespass, when damage is done to fences etc., it's criminal trespass, however, when any firearm/weapon is in the posession of or used by the trespasser it's then armed trespass - a very serious offence in law. I'm surprised the police wern't much more interested!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2015, 01:21:30 pm »
Yes, someone came onto my land, right next to the goat arks, and my sheep, and shot the badger.  Much as they cause me problems, I do not hold a gun licence, and even if I did, I would not have shot it.  To be honest, I do think that one had been in close contact with humans, because it would be there every night, same time, and not move far.....so it was an easy target.  Two people besides me knew the badger had been in my hen house, and I am pretty certain neither of those did the deed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS