Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ducks chickens and goats  (Read 2840 times)

Megsmum

• Joined Oct 2014
ducks chickens and goats
« on: November 18, 2015, 07:48:41 pm »
 ;D

Ok I now have

12 Chooks including 3 brahmas,

3 Nigerian Dwarf Goats

3 ducks  1 male  on female

They all have separate housing, but I cruising together during the day.

Any ideas as to how I can keep the goats out of the others food.  Chooks not too bad as I scatter this around and they eat and free range rest of day.  Can I put duck feed in a bowl of water to stop the goats eating it!

any ideas...........no I cannot fence them separately

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: ducks chickens and goats
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 08:31:34 pm »
it depends on what you are feeding the chickens and ducks.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Staceyluu

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 08:53:24 pm »
Sorry completely off topic, we haven't started yet so I can't offer any advice...but goats!! Where did you get the Nigerian Dwarf goats, do you milk them, will you be breeding them at some point? I gather they are not easy to get hold of in the UK....from my extensive six month search while I wait for the house sale to go through.   :innocent:

Megsmum

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 06:27:01 am »
it depends on what you are feeding the chickens and ducks.

at the moment a local feed ( I live in Spain)  i am hoping to get some layers pellets  that will be ok for all three

What do you recommend
Sorry completely off topic, we haven't started yet so I can't offer any advice...but goats!! Where did you get the Nigerian Dwarf goats, do you milk them, will you be breeding them at some point? I gather they are not easy to get hold of in the UK....from my extensive six month search while I wait for the house sale to go through.   :innocent:

I do not live in the UK I am in Extremadura Spain, but I am sure there are lots of ND goats in UK  many breeders, I will have a look and send you some links

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 06:52:02 am »
Layers pellets is NOT advised for goats  :rant:

Worst case scenario it will kill goat
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Megsmum

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 09:40:19 am »
That's what I thought I just wondered why the first responder said depends what you feed. However today I have a solution to the goats eating chicken feed. Have attached cage feeders to the inside of a dog crate chickens can stick heads through to eat from the outside goats  can't.  Just got to sort out how to feed ducks and I think I'll put feed in house as the hole is too small for the goats

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 10:36:13 am »
If you were feeding the chickens and ducks straight grains then it wouldn't be as dangerous for the goats but they could still suffer from bloat if they ate too much
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 10:48:59 am »
Megsmum's idea is a good one. Goats love everyone else's food and are very persistent. As another poster said too much of feed they shouldn't have and you could have problems, so you are quite right to look at solutions and feeding in the houses with bob holes goats can't get through is good too.

Megsmum

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 12:35:37 pm »
Thanks guys.  SO far so good, the goats have tried but the feeders are in such a position that even when they stuck out their tongues it was a big fat failure, then they buggered off to annoy the ducks ::)

I have positioned the cage against a wall and positioned wood panels along three sides with enough room for a chook. Ill try and take pictures later.

The goats are VERY fat and are now on a serious diet, I am very aware of bloat, so will reduce their grain and concentrate on there Alfalfa and Hay, they also have olive trimmings, vine trimmings vegetables etc, but I think I have been overfeeding them on a daily basis ???

Ducks   going to feed in there house as the hole is not big enough even for the most adventurous goat, but also we have a pond, so thought about putting food on a stand in the pond..... :roflanim: goats no likey the water

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 02:50:57 pm »
Ducks   going to feed in there house as the hole is not big enough even for the most adventurous goat, but also we have a pond, so thought about putting food on a stand in the pond..... :roflanim: goats no likey the water

Given how clever the little b*****s are how long until we see the video of them removing the wood panels and using them as a bridge to get to the middle of the pond  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS