Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bloom on egg  (Read 1620 times)

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Bloom on egg
« on: November 18, 2015, 12:15:10 pm »
Hi. One of my hens laid an egg that when dry has a chalky bloom. I picked it up with wet hands ( everything is wet here! ) and the bloom appears to wash off, but it doesnt,  and soon reappears. Does this suggest a deficiency anywhere tbat I need to address? All look happy enough and no idea which of my 5 produced it.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Bloom on egg
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 02:00:28 pm »
It's actually a matt shell surface Ghdp. We have one or two hens laying the same and can do nothing about it. They spend ages in the nest box so laying a rough surfaced egg must be uncomfortable.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 04:11:33 pm »
How much calcium do they have in their diet? I sometimes get that from some of my hens, but it seems to go when i give them crushed dried egg shell in their feed
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 08:27:44 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I will try crush egg shells as an idea and post if there is an obvious change.
Greg

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 09:24:05 am »
As WBF said its a calcium imbalance.  I always had Oystershell grit available for my birds to take when they felt the need. Eggshells work, but they need quite a lot of them  - you can buy Oystershell by the 20 kilos :)
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 10:15:51 am »
Just extra Calcium can do more harm than good because it creates a Calcium to Phosphorous imbalance. Also needed in the shell creation process is vitamin D which comes from exposure to sunlight, which is rather short at the moment. You also get it in Cod Liver Oil so I would try a bit (0.5mL each) of that on bread once first.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 11:08:56 am »
They have always had access to oystershell grit so guess extra egg shell is not the way forward then. I will try cod liver oil tho.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 11:38:29 am »
honestly, I have 75 hens and the odd one now and again has a bloom or texture just like the odd one will be a funny shape.  My hens have an amazing diet including organic layers, kelp, sunflower seeds and organic veg. I wouldnt worry about it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS