Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Costings for Large Breed Pigs  (Read 4608 times)

Notasausage

• Joined Feb 2013
Costings for Large Breed Pigs
« on: November 13, 2015, 02:06:03 pm »
Does anyone have costings for large breed pigs from getting them as weaners to sending them away for pork? We have had a batch of pure Kunes and a batch of Kune/Large Black that only ate slightly more than the pure Kunes (1-1.5lb/pig/day). We'd like to have a go at a large breed next - thinking Large Black or Saddleback, but are nervous about the increased feed costs. What age would I expect a large breed to reach about 60kg dead weight?

Happy to share costings for the pigs we've had already if that helps anyone else.

Also looking for a breeder (any large breed or cross) in Central Scotland preferably. Looking for at least 3 weaners, possibly more in March/April 2016

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Costings for Large Breed Pigs
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 02:23:52 pm »
Nota,

you may have to take what you can get in your neck of the woods but if you have the choice then a leaner larger breed might be the next step. Tamworth or how about Pietrain x middlewhite. The old breeds dont have the massive growth rates of modern commercial breeds such as landrace and therefore dont need to consume as much concentrate as fast growing commercial breeds.
 If you are taking them to meat for your own freezer then its up to you when you send them to slaughter so if it cost you 10 bags of feed to get your Kunes to 12 months you could invest 10 bags of feed in your larger breed and butcher earlier. You would still have lots of pork in the freezer.

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 08:29:54 am »
My Large Whites cost around £40 a head from weaners to going in for meat at 70-80kg on a complete diet. They go in at 22 weeks. I breed my own stock so not paying over the odds for weaners, but add around £5 per head to cover the sow and boars costs.

I can share costings with you if you like. Its very subject to how/where you buy from feed from.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 11:59:22 am »
You must have a very good deal on food SophieYorkshire. Please share.

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 01:09:41 pm »
You must have a very good deal on food SophieYorkshire. Please share.

Harmony - I buy in bulk so its vastly cheaper. I have over 400 porkers on site at the mo so I'm afraid its just a case of economies of scale! I've found if you can consume the feed and facilitate it being blown into storage then its a huge cost cutter.

Sows and boars are fed accordingly for their young/work, weaners are on ad lib up to 12 weeks old and growers are on a strict 4lbs a day diet.

Will hide behind the sofa as I put this  :sofa: but I also wean at between 5-6 weeks old which reduces feed costs.

I currently buy from BOCM, their costs have dropped around £30 per tonne over the last 12 months. I believe my local agri suppliers is still charging around £8.60 for 25kg sacks.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 06:45:21 pm »
Sophie I appreciate the economies of scale but that doesn't apply to most people on here. At your price your pigs average £2.50 a week to fatten (6 weeks of age to 22 weeks = £40) Have I done the maths right? I assume you also have a market at your target weight. Do you have an agreed price with the buyer too?

I have a friend who buys in bulk (4 tonne hopper) but his price is not as good as yours. If you can buy food so cheap why are the commercial units losing money?

Weaning earlier is an interesting one. It must take less out of your sows?

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 08:46:37 pm »
Will ask my husband tomorrow, he is the pig person, I just scratch their ears.  We will have Large Black weaners availble in the spring, but we are Scottish rders (nr Kelso).

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 01:02:47 am »
Assuming you go for the 1lb per month of age, get them at 8 weeks, slaughter at 24 and feed exact amounts the quantities go a bit like this...
Age 8-12 weeks - 60lbs
Age 12-16 weeks - 90lbs
Age 16-20 weeks - 120lbs
Age 20-24 weeks - 150lbs
Total feed consumed (per pig) 420lbs = 190kg.
I'd expect a dead weight of around 50kg at that. If you were raising a traditional pure breed spring-autumn - to take it up to 60 you're probably looking at another 4 weeks feeding at almost a bag per pig, per week on top.
Actual cost will depend on the size of bags you buy (20 or 25kg) and cost per bag.
Any cross will do better than a pure breed in terms of growth (hybrid vigour) but you lose the breed characteristics, it doesn't affect meat quality / flavour (though it's porkier than kk  ;))
If you're who I think you are, Mowhaugh's Large Black's are the same lines that were in your kk crosses  ;) They're nice  :thumbsup: Or for Saddlebacks, get in touch with Caron Stewart Clash Saddlebacks in Port Logan.
HTH
Karen

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 08:31:50 am »
Sophie I appreciate the economies of scale but that doesn't apply to most people on here. At your price your pigs average £2.50 a week to fatten (6 weeks of age to 22 weeks = £40) Have I done the maths right? I assume you also have a market at your target weight. Do you have an agreed price with the buyer too?

I have a friend who buys in bulk (4 tonne hopper) but his price is not as good as yours. If you can buy food so cheap why are the commercial units losing money?

Weaning earlier is an interesting one. It must take less out of your sows?

Yes agree about it not applying to most people on here - not sure how I ever went from 2 pigs for the freezer one summer to where I am now  :roflanim:

Currently costing around £1.50 a week, although this is very recent (last couple of months) - prices have been bad for a long while. I have a floating cost with my buyer - which can vary over about £5 a head. The feed conversion is also different to what you'd get from traditional breeds, mine are intended to produce lean meat much more rapidly. Fitting with the forum though - I do believe slower growers are much more tasty  :yum:

Has he had a price reduction recently too? I get 10 tonne deliveries - I think the last price I had for a 4 tonne delivery was around £1000! In my experience the mills charge something rotten for smaller loads :( Some units are making, some are loosing - I had a rotten first 6 months this year, wouldn't claim to be making money! I have a friend who's doing 10,000 and he doesn't look like he's doing badly, although I've not seen his tax return  ;D Most people will say that you need to do 1000+ growers currently if you want to pay a mortgage  ;)

Whites are prolific and I expect a minimum of 14 in a litter. The sows are great mothers, but weaners are always eating well by 6 weeks and I see no purpose in letting mum get mobbed and running up higher feed bills. Also means the sows won't loose as much condition although if there's a litter that's not so strong then I do leave them with mum a little longer. By contrast, I wouldn't wean any of my GOS at 5 weeks!

« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 08:43:36 am by SophieYorkshire »

Notasausage

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 03:00:47 pm »
Karen - I am who you think I am  ;)  Thanks for the info.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS