Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vehicle battery  (Read 1987 times)

Izzy

• Joined May 2009
  • Stirlingshire
Vehicle battery
« on: October 21, 2015, 03:09:52 pm »
Last winter my van started taking a few seconds of turning over to start but I managed to ignore it successfully. It has started this again in the last few weeks and I have decided to tackle it before it won't start at all. The battery says maintenance free on it but it does have 6 wee screw caps on the top. When I open these the liquid level is about 2" below. Online I have read that batteries should be topped up to about 1" with distilled water. Is there any reason why I shouldn't top up the battery. Does 'maintenance free' mean anything?

The van is 9 years old. I've had it for 5 of those years and I've no reason to believe it's not the original battery.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Vehicle battery
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 04:45:05 pm »
Even a five year old battery is very old!   Get a new one.... better than being let down on a very cold day in winter.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 04:59:12 pm »
New battery. 
Try budget autos, back of hill industrial estate, next to sainsburys.  Stirling

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 07:09:05 pm »
to answer the question: can you top it up? then yes; there'll be a stack of plates in there that should be submerged in the electrolyte - if they are still well submerged then it's not necessary to top up. Do not overfill as the level goes up and down a bit depending on charge, and use de-ionised water.

Having said all that, topping up is unlikely to improve the starting capability of the battery, merely prevent the rapid deterioration that can occur if the plates are allowed to dry out; so if it's cranking the engine a bit sluggishly or sounding like it's running down then it's time for a new battery as the others have said.

If it's turning the engine briskly but the engine's slow to start when cold then it may be the glow plugs (diesel) or the ignition / cold start (petrol)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS