Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ram has tupped my goat  (Read 5882 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Ram has tupped my goat
« on: October 20, 2015, 02:34:54 pm »
Gotland ram got through the fence, and tupped one of the female goats who was in season.  Never had this happen, and have been told she will either re absorb, or miscarry.  Has this happened to anyone else. Seriously praying she will come back into season, and he did not do the deed ....but from my view at the fence, it looked very likely!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Ram has tupped my goat
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 02:53:06 pm »
I would get her down to the vets and injected, at least it will bring her back into season soon.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 03:39:07 pm »
Ive seen a ' sheep goat' on the internet so she could give birth to it.
It had a goats head and the body and wool of a sheep ! 

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 04:00:25 pm »
Ooh this hadn't even occurred to me  ???
________
Caroline

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 07:34:31 pm »
EEK - definitely get her injected
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 08:21:45 pm »
Oh Shoat!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 08:41:32 pm »
I believe that due to differing chromasones nothing can become of this mating. (I may be wrong though!) Lets have the vet's opinions.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 08:59:49 pm »
Most likely to abort or miscarry, or injection to speed this up.
There are a few documented, proven "geeps" over the years, with a number of chromosomes between goats and sheep. These are most likely sterile like a horse/donkey hybrid (mule).

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 10:37:32 pm »
One of our angoras was "marked" with raddle at tupping time but nothing became of it.  Obviously I separated them straight away after that!!
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 10:50:23 am »
This happened here a couple of years ago !! When my get finished :roflanim: :roflanim: and the other vets in the practice also  :roflanim: he came out and injected her !!! Only here he said, trying not too hard to keep a straight face  :roflanim:  Get her to the vets , hope you're has more self control than mine  :roflanim:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 12:37:59 pm »
I think I will take a chance and see what happens, as I have only just paid off an eye watering bill at the vets for horse treatment.  They will want £35 plus VAT just for handling her, let alone the jab.....and even then I may be forking out and her not in kid.  She had only just come into season when he mounted her, as she definitely was not in season earlier that morning

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 02:53:22 pm »
But she may not come back into season for a while and if you want to breed from her this autumn you may loose your chance....but it (as far as I know) a vet job.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 05:17:38 pm »
If I were you I wouldn't worry. She'll come back into season or may still be in.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 10:56:10 pm »
I do not want a geep, shoat or even goat kids.  I said last Spring that was my last ever kidding, and have stuck to my word - although old habits die hard when the females have come into season this time, its been very hard not to let them be served by Darren or Andre!!

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 08:12:51 pm »
I had a goat who was tupped by my ram last year. I had had her scanned as thought she had a pseudopregnancy (cloudburst) as she "couldn't possibly be pregnant" and turned out on scanning to be pregnant with twins. As is usually the case she miscarried but it is still very possible.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS