Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Any problems with birdtrader?  (Read 4963 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Any problems with birdtrader?
« on: October 11, 2015, 04:05:36 pm »
I advertised my faverolles on birdtrader and have had some real weird responses, am I right in thinking maybe just stick to preloved and only the regular site I use?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Any problems with birdtrader?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 04:22:06 pm »
I'm curious, now, what kind of responses? :)

I only look at preloved and gumtree.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 04:51:28 pm »
well someone rang up and didn't know what they were he thought they were parrots, he had virtually no experience with poultry and wanted only 4 of them but would pay double and could we deliver them. I was really taken aback by this, but calmly said that I had a few other people interested and would get back to him, if I hadn't sold them, I never did get back to him, for the reasons outlined. Another inquiry sounds genuine, he wanted my address, which I gave, and he hasn't gotten back, so maybe it was too far. I have emailed him again to ask whereabouts he is based but no reply just yet, that was yesterday. Really weird eh? ???
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 05:49:05 pm »
Hummn,

I think stick to preloved. I have never bought or sold any birds through it and a number of the birds for sale look a little ropey.

Have you tried selling through facebook sites for poultry or rare breeds?

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 06:05:29 pm »
I've sold on bird trader and been fine.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 06:49:19 pm »
Hummn,

I think stick to preloved. I have never bought or sold any birds through it and a number of the birds for sale look a little ropey.

Have you tried selling through facebook sites for poultry or rare breeds?
Yep I did but no one replied, everything is price for people these days.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 07:43:58 pm »
Yes wbf

its difficult when you are trying to sell quality. I don't find the same demand for chickens that there once was and I struggle to find people who are interested enough in good stock to pay for them in this area.

Perhaps bird trader is ok if you dont mind sifting through the weirdos?

Maybe you could think about how to pitch your advert and your price to attract the customers that you are after.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 09:42:29 pm »
Yes wbf

its difficult when you are trying to sell quality. I don't find the same demand for chickens that there once was and I struggle to find people who are interested enough in good stock to pay for them in this area.

Perhaps bird trader is ok if you dont mind sifting through the weirdos?

Maybe you could think about how to pitch your advert and your price to attract the customers that you are after.
The problem is the weirdos who send me the emails don't sound at all trustworthy, I must think of my animals above anything. My advert is quite good , I remember someone on here telling me to make my advert sort of like cute and cuddly type thing, which i did and which is why I have had a lot of replies, problem is as soon as they hear the price they run a mile ( I mean...... the price isn't expensive is it?)
http://www.birdtrader.co.uk/chickens-for-sale/salmon-faverolle-laying-hens/506435
Here is my birdtrader ad
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 09:47:06 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 07:13:50 am »
I have used both bird trader and preloved, but recently have bought and sold through a poultry group on facebook.

I notice there is a welsh version, I just searched poultry in Wales and a couple of groups came up, might be worth joining them.
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 08:58:11 pm »
Hummmn,

just looked at your advert. I used to get that price for my very rare Croad Langshans but I do struggle to get £15 now. So is it too expensive...well that comes down to supply and demand I guess. In terms of your advert. I would drop the line about needing to let them go. It might give the impression that you are desperate to get rid and its worth trying to see if you will accept a lower offer.

I would focus on demonstrating their value, quality, rarity etc. As for the good home bit....well there are lots of people who keep poultry and Im sure that they all think that their birds have a good home regardless of how they are kept.

I dont sell mine anymore as I couldnt get the price that I was looking for. I worry that if people are not willing to pay for them, then they wouldn't care for them or value them.   

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 08:35:00 am »
I agree. I have just had a response from a lady, she wasn't fazed by price at all and is arranging a date to see them apparently she loves the look of them and wants some more large fowl to go with the large fowl she already has, I hope she buys them. She seems like a really lovely woman.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 09:10:37 am »
There you go then, that sounds like the right kind of customer to me. Your photos show that they are active, well fed birds in a clean, tidy environment. Anyone who is keen to buy good, healthy stock will place a value on that.

I only ever buy animals of farm, not from auction as I want to see the set up and meet the breeder.

If you are a responsible breeder with good stock then hang out for the right customer.

There will always be people who know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.....leave them to it.

Good luck with your sale!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 09:28:37 am »
You get strange people where ever you advertise. I find you either get one person who is straightforward and buys what you have or you get a string of time wasters.

I haven't found birdtrader any worse than anywhere else.

You do have to watch with any site that people don't use googled photos of good stock and when you get there they are nothing like.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 10:37:22 am »
If I am selling anything I get my OH to check the email as he can find most. I also ask for a phone number to call the person. You always seem to get the odd ball when selling.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS