Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: All purpose disinfectant/deodorant  (Read 2807 times)

Dave Marr

• Joined Oct 2015
All purpose disinfectant/deodorant
« on: October 09, 2015, 05:52:28 pm »
Dear all.
I'm looking for your recommendation on an all purpose disinfectant/deodorant (preferably a concentrate to dilute & spray) for chickens, ducks, ferrets & goats housing. I'm confused by whats on offer out there so need your advise. Really want a clean & healthy environment for the kids.
Appreciate your experienced input.
Dave

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: All purpose disinfectant/deodorant
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 07:26:36 pm »
Impossible to keep livestock in sterile surroundings.  Keep housing dry and well ventilated, well bedded and mucked out regularly - which is necessary for healthy livestock.  Enforce regular hand-washing after touching animals, birds or equipment - which is necessary for healthy children.  New Zealand has almost all births in sterile hospital conditions and the children have one of the highest asthma rates in the world.  In the Black Forest many births are at home, where the winter livestock housing adjoins the farmhouse via a corridor - childhood asthma - zero. 

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 07:33:38 am »
[quote author=Marches Farmer link=topic=68335.msg550254
In the Black Forest many births are at home, where the winter livestock housing adjoins the farmhouse via a corridor - childhood asthma - zero.
[/quote]

This was another reason i got my two goats; bit of asthma in my family and being around animals has health benefits for babies and young children (can't remember the study, but covered whole of Europe). From my memory, I think they found cattle were the most beneficial, then goats and sheep, then poultry, then dogs. There was something about cats - either no difference or slightly worse, but I can't remember, sorry.
My sons been in about it all and so far has only had a couple of colds, in 15months (touch muck)! I do wash his hands, but given that he chews on sticks, licks the goats, dog and cat, I sometimes wonder if there's much point  ???

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 01:18:50 pm »
New Zealand has almost all births in sterile hospital conditions and the children have one of the highest asthma rates in the world.  In the Black Forest many births are at home, where the winter livestock housing adjoins the farmhouse via a corridor - childhood asthma - zero.

I think you are mixing up the difference between being born or growing up with a range of bacteria. Growing up with animals and a range of bacteria etc has been associated with a healthy immune system and less problems like asthma and eczema. Being born in a clean/sterile environment is not associated increased asthma rates. It is however associated with a massive reduction in infection and maternal mortality. 

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 05:11:47 pm »
Agree with others that hand washing is the best way of preventing infections. However, once or twice a year you may want to have a good clean-out of the housing. In which case, Virkon is very effective and smells nice too.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 05:33:15 pm »
I think you are mixing up the difference between being born or growing up with a range of bacteria. Growing up with animals and a range of bacteria etc has been associated with a healthy immune system and less problems like asthma and eczema. Being born in a clean/sterile environment is not associated increased asthma rates. It is however associated with a massive reduction in infection and maternal mortality.
[/quote]

I think there's a lot more work to be done on this .... effect of immune system being constantly challenged.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 07:18:09 pm »
There is also a theory that the increasing rates of childhood leukaemia may relate to the fact that so many children are kept in artificially clean environments and their immune systems just don't know what they are meant to be doing.

Hate to quote a washing powder ad but dirt is good!

(in moderation - The UK's maternal mortality rate is about 1 in 300, 000 where the vast majority of births are in a clean environment. In NIger where most women deliver in their own home on a dirt floor it is 1 in 7 and the major cause of death is infection :( ).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 07:22:38 pm by Beeducked »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS