Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Male llama  (Read 3495 times)

Michelleice

• Joined Jun 2015
Male llama
« on: October 07, 2015, 10:26:27 am »
It's with a heavy heart I have to put my boy up for sale,  we bought him Friday. He has since jumped out of my paddocks and gates. He needs to be with someone with alpacas/llamas where he can have suitable company instead of my horses. Road he's jumping out to is quite heavy with traffic. I'm not in a position to extend fences.

Drama is friendly as will run up to you for attention and gives kisses. Never spat at me personally and we have stressed him out trying to catch him.

Only asking for what I paid for him.
£250

Needs to go asap as depressed

Thank you

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Re: Male llama
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 11:45:00 am »
If you've only had him since Friday can he not go back to who you bought him from? Were you not advised to get two of them as they are herd animals?

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 08:27:14 am »
I am the East Midlands regional co-ordinator for the British Llama Society, and we do have a rehoming system.  If you fail to sell him then we might be able to help, but would not pay for him, and normally request a donation to the rehoming fund.  Also it might be helpful to state if he is gelded or entire? I hope you find a solution to your problem soon.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 01:31:47 pm »
So sorry this has happened.  I can see it is very stressful for you.

Was he in with other llamas before you got him?  I got mine when he was only a few months old, and he lived quite happily with my pony, one sheep and some goats.  For the first couple of days he ran round the field, but he did settle down.  Thankfully he never tried to jump the walls.

If he is castrated, is there no one nearby who has lllamas who could put one in with him, until you get sorted?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 10:34:37 pm »
Here is an ad I found
 http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/113855020/llama-wanted-ideally-male.html
I hope this helps and that you can sell him soon
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Michelleice

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 07:30:02 pm »
Sorry never had any notifications, breeder said he would take him back but ignored me then blocked me.

He's been stabled to settle in but is missing company.

We have spent a small fortune on deer fencing, 8ft post etc and have built him a paddock so we can keep him. He's entire but vet will be out soon to castrate him once his paddock is finished

Were looking for company for him alpaca or llama and I'm looking for a goat/sheep for the short term for him until we have another camalid company

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 10:41:24 pm »
Hopefully the high fencing will keep Drama from jumping out now.  You probably know this, but it is advisable to have a male llamas fighting teeth  - probably got a proper name - taken out, as they can give a nasty bite otherwise.  I kept my male in with a couple of goats and a sheep, and he went in the field shelter and lay down with them at night, so they are a good idea as company.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 08:28:54 am »
Some years ago I was given an entire male lama. He lived very happily - firstly with my sheep until he tried humping them constantly, then with an old White Park cow who was big enough not to be bothered by his advances. He became very attached (emotionally) to Chloe the cow, but then got incredibly possessive and started to jump out of his field to attack the horses in the field opposite, whom he saw as a threat.
Eventually I gave him away to a petting zoo who already had a lama. Once he'd discovered the neighbour's horses we could not keep him in. He cleared a 5' wall from a  standing start.
Hopefully Drama will  calm down once castrated. But until then I would be wary of putting him with sheep or goats. They're far too small to stand the constant advances of an entire male.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 08:30:44 am by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 09:51:50 pm »
My llama was intact, and had been with us since he was a year old.  Thinking back, he did try mating with one of the large male castrated Anglo Nubians in the field once.  He nearly flattened poor Abel the goat. 

Not sure how it looked to passers by, but the llama was on top of the goat, and I was straggling the llama trying to pull him off ......oh, and the funny noise he was making was loud, so enough to attract the attention of anyone nearby!!.  Funny enough, he never tried it on with the goats or sheep after that.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 09:53:07 am »
I initially put my lama with a small saanen nanny that I was temporarily looking after. He constantly humped her and injured her leg. So I then put him in with a dozen agile sheep on the assumption they could get out of the way. However he targeted one, which was brown, and easy for him to pick out, and he got her so often that he'd only got to look at her and she would collapse on the ground rather than endure the chase and inevitable capture. Then he was put with Chloe the cow and they appeared to live happily till he got really possessive of her and tried to attack the neighbouring horses.
I think if he'd been castrated we wouldn't have had the problems, as he actually got on well with all our animals, apart from the constant humping. And he really was a very pleasant animal as far as humans were concerned,     
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS