Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bad cold!  (Read 2627 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Bad cold!
« on: September 29, 2015, 10:12:29 am »
So I caught a cold the day before yesterday, not able to sleep properly for a few hours I got up at 4 am, saw the sun rise nicely :) (one good thing I suppose). The thing is I need it to be gone by this weekend, as I have to go and see a relative of mine, how can I make a cold go in such a short time, without staying in bed all day? I am already taking echinacea, vitamin c and paracetemol and fluids, is there anything else that I may be missing? Advice greatly appreciated.
Cheers
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 10:23:27 am by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Bad cold!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 11:58:11 am »
Ultimate cold remedy

One I invented some years ago. Bring a bottle of ribena just to the simmer. Remove from stove, add 1 bottle dark rum. Sip slowly. When you wake up the cold is gone (apart from a slight headache).

Theory...why be conscious through the discomfort. Alcohol is a good sterliszer..a thoroghly rinsed throat, all that vapour in your nasal passages and lungs..got to be good. Add a soupcon of undestroyed vit C and blackcurrant oils (antioxidants)...gotta be good.
(warning ..do not take if suffering from incipient liver failure)

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 12:25:47 pm »
Rest and keep warm  :hug:
The blackcurrent and rum idea does sound fun though  :roflanim:
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 12:45:35 pm »
Try a galss of hot milk, add a teaspoon of honey and a good measure of whiskey just before going to bed - you'll sleep like a baby. I might not get rid of the cold but you'll feel better!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 12:51:31 pm »
Ty guys I really appreciate everything, I might just try them ;D
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 01:11:42 pm »
Ultimate cold remedy

One I invented some years ago. Bring a bottle of ribena just to the simmer. Remove from stove, add 1 bottle dark rum. Sip slowly. When you wake up the cold is gone (apart from a slight headache).

....the cold is gone along with approx 4 days.......    :roflanim:
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 01:14:42 pm »
Try a galss of hot milk, add a teaspoon of honey and a good measure of whiskey just before going to bed - you'll sleep like a baby. I might not get rid of the cold but you'll feel better!

Eugh - here I was hoping for a cure for the horrid cold that I am suffering from too and like my OH suggested honey and whisky are given as the solution - two of the things most guaranteed to turn my stomach. I guess being sick would take my mind off the cold  ::)
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 01:13:52 pm »
I hope you have managed to get rid of the cold.

I rarely get colds, but when I do, they are bad.  And of course I have to struggle on because of the livestock.  Three weeks ago tomorrow, on the day I was going to the Wesmorland Show I woke up with a sore throat, so it did spoil my day out somewhat.  Then I started with a cough, and it went on and on.  Now I am left with catarrah, and still coughing/   

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 05:47:59 pm »
Colds virtually gone. I slept well last night, having taken 2 paracetemol , now am coughing it all up and my nose isn't as blocked up but nearly clear. I think I pummelled it with vitamin c, thyme tincture, paracetemol, loads of honey and lemons and tons of water. I should be better, hopefully, by Saturday. Thanks for all the advice guys and I think I'll have a nice drink to celebrate once am better.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 11:16:27 pm »
Well done. I think I will take all those things next time I have an inkling a cold is coming on me, and make it go away quick.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS