Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: heptavac p  (Read 1949 times)

Advertisement

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
heptavac p
« on: September 29, 2015, 12:19:32 am »
hi ,

I haven't given my new hoggets their vaccination of heptavac p yet and the ram is going with them in 2 weeks, would it be ok to give them this now and then take all in when changing the rams crayon and give them the second dose or is there any issues or side effects with using heptavac during tupping?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: heptavac p
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 11:05:17 am »
Have they not had the initial double dose as lambs? If yes, then you only need an annual booster, and hat should have been done at the same time as the ewes will have got theirs....

I would not have thought that vaccination  per se interferes with the breeding cycle, so if they are easily penned up then it shouldn't be a problem.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 01:36:47 pm »
They will need a booster at the recommended time before lambing either way.
If they haven't had any vaccines to date, it would definitely be worth doing them now (if you Google the Noah compendium and type in heptavac, you can check the contraindications don't include mating, but it must allow in pregnancy as they get the prelambing booster!) The only thing that may be an issue is stress and knocks from penning or running through a race to vaccinate, but the alternative of potential sudden deaths from clostridia is a risk.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 01:44:40 pm »
... and pasteurella at this time of year!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS