Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice on drying up my girls  (Read 1489 times)

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
Advice on drying up my girls
« on: September 07, 2015, 10:03:24 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of drying up my two milking goats so they can be put back into kid in the Autumn. They didn't kid this year but did the year before.

I've got them down to milking once a day by cutting out concentrate but they are still really full and producing about 1.5 - 2 litres each.

I still need to get them on the milking stand when I milk them in the morning and to achieve this I need to feed them something.... giving them a cup of oats and some sugar beet at the moment.

Can anyone suggest a less protein rich feed option please? I've tried just giving fruit and veg but there not very impressed by that and start kicking off whilst I milk them. Also I don't want them to get into bad condition pre kidding.

Any advice much appreciated. Thank you  ???

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Advice on drying up my girls
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 10:17:41 pm »
Mine are on wee bit of shreds and a dusting of oats when milked once a day. I then just leave out one milking, so milk one-in-three for a few days and so on... but, do you really need to stop milking completely? They will happily milk once a day on some concentrates until about 8 - 6 weeks before kidding, and it allows you to feed a bit more without worrying about them getting fat. They will dry off completely quite easily in Nov/Dec time, just now there is still quite a bit of good enough grass around...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS