Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vetwrap is amazing stuff!!  (Read 8324 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Vetwrap is amazing stuff!!
« on: September 04, 2015, 08:42:53 pm »
Just for those of you who haven't come across it yet, Vetwrap (also Vetrap) is an elasticated bandage that sticks only to itself, and not to skin or hair.

Our poor footrot struck ewe has ended up with really raw toes which weren't getting better on their own because she had to walk on them (other types of lame hairy animal are available). However, after advice from [member=3792]Hellybee[/member] on another thread, we've started treating and bandaging her feet every couple of days, and it's really helping her.

I've also used it for a ewe who had a deep cut on her leg. It helped to keep the dirt out whilst the wound healed and needed no safety pins etc to hold it on. We just left it on her for a couple of days and then un-wrapped her and let her go.  Fantastic stuff, and definitely something we'll always be keeping in the sheepy toolbox  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Vetwrap is amazing stuff!!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 08:45:05 pm »
I think you have to be careful it doesn't get wet otherwise it shrinks and can cut off circulation?
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 09:15:47 pm »
Its easily put on too tight, attach a little bit then unroll 9 inches or so, adjust the tension and then wrap it round and repeat to avoid feet falling off etc  ;)

Carolswoolies

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 09:29:40 pm »
I agree!
Great help for dog recovering from leg wound.
Well worth keeping a supply.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 12:10:00 am »
Our vet posted this pic on FB :

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 04:25:26 am »
Ahh glad she s showing some improvement, as the others have said, I think as long as you keep an eye on its adhesion,.  But of course you a good nursemaid :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 12:31:00 pm »
It's good for keeping an eye patch in place (gives the 'arr Jim lad' look), and as a pressure dressing after a badly broken horn in sheep. With that, you really have to watch you don't strangle the patient, if you pass the bandage under the throat.
It's also used in humans too.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 01:36:03 pm »
Useful for horses with hoof abcesses :(

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 02:27:15 pm »
When our German Shepherd Sasha was on cancer treatment tablets she lost all the fur on her tail and would cut it from wagging against the corner of kitchen units - vet wrapped her tail - worked a treat  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 04:34:49 pm »

Nope. Disagree. Can't beat a warm salt water soaked nappy surrounded by Ductape.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 08:36:59 pm »

Nope. Disagree. Can't beat a warm salt water soaked nappy surrounded by Ductape.

Seriously? I use Animalintex but it's really expensive.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 08:57:28 pm »
Yup my vet suggested nappy and duct tape too.  Trouble is with my youngest 21 (years). I have more Vetwrap than nappies. 

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2015, 09:04:16 pm »

Seriously? I use Animalintex but it's really expensive.

Yes seriously. Would I joke about nappies? They come with sticky tape ready to attach. I've used this method many times. Used to carry a pack in the car. It had the double positive of A. Working and B. Making sure the mad horse women didn't want you back! 

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2015, 06:37:34 am »
For abscess I use a small piece of lintex over the point only, wrapped with a third of a vetrap that touches the fetlock and a wrapped ductape boot shaped up over the coronet.  Snip down the front to remove but it lasts 24 hours or more  The nappy chemical gloop isn't something I want spread and they often burst at the toe so I stopped using them.

PS luminous vetrap is easier to spot for the final few days of dry wrap to keep a drained abscess hole from getting dirt in til the hoof horn seals over.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2015, 06:40:01 am »
Nappies are in my standard horse first aid kit, along with vetwrap.  The neighbours dog is sporting a very fetching cammo vetwrapped leg at themoment.  It suits him.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS