Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: American lass wishes to meet sheep  (Read 3944 times)

sanmarzano

• Joined Sep 2015
American lass wishes to meet sheep
« on: September 02, 2015, 06:31:02 pm »
Dear All

I am not a smallholder, just interested in sheep and spinning wool.  A friend on Ravelry suggested this would be a good place to ask this favour.

I have been put in contact with a American post grad student who has a Watson Fellowship grant to spend a year finding out more about wool. What very heaven. She has been in Iceland
- see her blog and I have invited her to come and stay with me for a bit in Wales.
First request - Annie is currently in Edinburgh and would very much like to visit and maybe help on a sheep farm, if anyone could put her in touch with someone or offer to meet her themselves. She would particularly love to go to Iona and Skye.
Second request - if you happened to be going to Masham Sheep Fair and would agree to meet her and help explain the sheep breeds and/or spinning, this would be much appreciated.
Third request - if you are somewhere between Scotland and Wales and have a suggested place or event she might see or would offer her a look at your own sheep, I think she would be very grateful.

If anyone feels comfortable offering this lass some support, taken on trust, though she is unknown to me except by email, if you let me know your email with a message, I will send it on to her.

Thanks everybody.
Fran

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: American lass wishes to meet sheep
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 08:10:06 pm »
I'm (one of) Fran's friend(s) on Ravelry aiyhg ;) 

Just thought there might be some sheep-keepers who spin or are interested in fleece in the vicinity of Edinburgh (or even on Skye or Iona) who might be interested in some help / two-way exchange.

The link to Annie's blog is here
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 10:39:36 pm »
We're not exactly a sheep farm, but we're less than an hour from Edinburgh (car or train), and I'm always keen to meet interesting people who like sheep!  ;D

Annie, if you're reading this, we'll cheerfully show you the breeds we keep here, and those our neighbours keep. In return we have a huge bag of wool from this year's shearing that we'd love to be shown some simple things to do with!  Why don't you come over for dinner sometime?  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 10:51:43 pm »
If she ends up in South wales, shed be welcome to come and see some shedding sheep here, might put an interesting spin on it. Also live in the land of the sheep, so plenty of woolys around.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 12:09:52 am »
I doubt she will get up to north east scotland but if she does - very welcome here  :thumbsup:

Just an idea to possible program in the smallholder show, Lanark as there will be lots of breeds to see (in the flesh), fleeces on display, and plenty to see and do  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 08:26:29 am »
I'm in Carmarthenshire. She would be welcome here but I only have 6 sheep so not a lot to keep her occupied but I do spin.

The Llandovery sheep festival is on at the end of Sept. Thats interesting and on the Sunday of the show there is the coloured sheep sale in the market. Usually quite a few nice coloured breeds there.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 09:18:33 am »
And I'm very close to bionic .... And have llanwenogs. Was going to me tion sheep festival myself.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

sanmarzano

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 11:12:19 am »
Thanks very much everybody.  I have sent Annie a link to this page and hope that your kind offers bear fruit.  She is hoping to go to the Masham Sheep Fair at the end of September, but of course, if she gets to Wales by then, I can bring her to Llandovery with me.  I had almost forgotten - wonder if they will have 'The Sheeptacular' again?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 02:20:43 pm »
Thanks very much everybody.  I have sent Annie a link to this page and hope that your kind offers bear fruit.  She is hoping to go to the Masham Sheep Fair at the end of September, but of course, if she gets to Wales by then, I can bring her to Llandovery with me.  I had almost forgotten - wonder if they will have 'The Sheeptacular' again?

The sheeptacular is definitely there again. 

I will be in one of the marquees, spinning. We will have a sign, Llansadwrn, spinners, weavers and dyers.
Drop in to see me. My name is Sally by the way.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 02:44:05 pm »
american lass wishes to meet sheep

Every single farmer in the UK sends a PM......

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 01:34:35 am »
Baaaaaaah !!!!!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 06:36:02 am »
american lass wishes to meet sheep

Every single farmer in the UK sends a PM......

Why don't you come over for dinner sometime?  :thumbsup:

OOOPS!!!  I see what you mean Me, and this thread already 250 views.  :roflanim: However, I can assure you that Mrs Womble and I only have the best of intentions. We don't get to meet many new people these days, so the chance to hang out with someone who won't be put off by the smell of lanolin and sheep sh1t is too good an opportunity to pass up!  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 03:55:52 pm »
If she would like to take the train to Stirling sometime I'll pick her up and take her to meet Mr & Mrs Womble - time I saw their place anyway!  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS