Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Meat birds you can breed yourself  (Read 1941 times)

Imafluffybunny

• Joined Aug 2014
Meat birds you can breed yourself
« on: August 30, 2015, 12:03:25 am »
As above, I am looking for a meat bird I can breed myself rather than buying in eggs, what would people suggest? Happy to still incubate but getting sick of eggs being damaged in the post.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
Re: Meat birds you can breed yourself
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 08:29:23 am »
Bit late for eggs this year. Birds hatched within the next month will struggle to make as good as April hatched.
Where are you based ?
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 09:34:29 am »
I used to breed large fowl croad langshans which are a traditional dual purpose, large friendly and lay well*
even through winter. Breed and brood well too. I only breed the bantams now or I would send you some eggs.

*for a rare dual purpose breed.

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 05:28:05 pm »
We've got a friend with a few Ixworth chickens that are meat and fair layers so every so often I swap half a dozen of our ordinary eggs with half a dozen of them, hatch them and then raise for meat, they are good. you could keep a few hens and a cockerel for the eggs  :chook: :chook:  and do your bit for a rare breed at the same time.
So many ideas, not enough hours

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS