Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The Year Without a Summer?  (Read 8069 times)

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
Re: The Year Without a Summer?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 07:36:13 am »
I live in the Costa East Angula , one of the driest parts of it. Spring was really late and the winter was a bit wet but by March the ground was dry and I was worried there would be no grass so I spread fertiliser on everything. It has rained practically every week, so the newly sown lawn is being mown twice a week in July and August, this week I did it two days in a row just to see how much it had grown in a day.
 Harvest has been a bit behind, but the fields behind me have been ploughed, limed and sown so with the rain I expect it to start greening up next week.
 I suppose what I have noticed most is the cool nights, we had one week when it was warm at night but otherwise for here its been cool, so things have not really grown as much as they could.
  We have been putting up a fence and have been amazed how dry has been a foot or more down but its solid clay so the water must just run off.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 05:01:44 pm »
Just noticed today, that's the leaves starting to turn  :-\
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 05:05:35 pm »
cheer up guys, there is always next year and who knows it could be like 2011, when one of the hottest days was the 1st october, who knows  8)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2015, 08:34:15 pm »
We had summer today  ;D
Anne

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2015, 09:52:42 pm »
Summer here in Aberdeenshire  I'm quite tanned/pink from topless roofing, being closer to the sun makes all the difference .
We've had a couple of years in the time up here where it seemed there was no summer, hay lost, constant mud, one afternoon I sat in the steading looking out at the rain hammering down in the company of the garden birds and the swallows, lots of despondent faces that day, lots of water came off the fields and the house got a bit of a flood.... and we are on a slope ! currants , We gave the birds seeds , mealworms  and currants ( The blackbirds take them from the hand )

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2015, 09:01:02 am »
Maybe we've been particularly lucky here in our wee corner of God's country, but it hasn't been too bad. Not hot - we've had the odd single day where it's been 20C but mostly it's been 15/16/17C, which tbh, is hot enough for me when working outside. We've not had a flood or a drought - the local tattie farmers haven't had to irrigate and have now sprayed off the haulms - and the combines are working away.

Our grass was slow in spring but it's fine now. We had two lovely weeks in April just as we were lambing then May wasn't so good - we've got one block of apple trees that set no fruit and these are the ones that flower then and therewere just no insects flying. Bees had spat oot the dummy and were sulking in teh hives.

The tomatoes are mostly green still in the polytunnel and I don't hold out much hope for the sweetcorn; on the positive side, the courgettes have done badly  ;D

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2015, 09:17:09 am »
Well over in this part of Aberdeenshire it has been very wet and cold  >:(
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2015, 12:40:37 pm »
The only good things in the garden are the courgettes I grew from seed. This is the variety.....
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/vegetables/vegetable-seeds/pumpkin-squash-and-courgette-seeds/courgette-black-forest-f1-hybrid/783TM
They have been so productive, I have 4 courgette plants and all are producing more than enough.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2015, 01:16:51 pm »
The big problem naw El nine is high the autumn equinox 23and it's cold naw. You will find it will cool quicker. Sunny days cold nights. The grain protean is high if it's not dawn to 15%you can't cut at 20%naw. That's a month to sort. If duew is hard you can't start till mid day. The stock will suffer late on.. IM taking lamps to York to sell a gamble. The last sales soon dark days await. A couple of pics to Brighton the day up.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 01:19:03 pm by Victorian Farmer »

adrian007

• Joined Dec 2013
    • Axe Head Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2015, 08:03:51 pm »
Cornwall - there isn't much south or west of us, but we have a bit of altitude - 175m.

We've had a few days sunshine, a fair bit of rain and alot of fog at speeds up to 40mph

Been a bit rubbish this year.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2015, 08:50:48 pm »
Dan took the reading off the PV cells today. Not surprisingly, July 2015 was 20% down on 2014 but, on the other hand, August 2015 was slightly above 2014.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2015, 10:55:49 pm »
has been a bit of a cool and damp summer here - not nearly as wet as 2012, mind, but my main gripe is this is the last year I can apply weedkiller without a PA6 cert and even when the weather's dry, it's with the threat of scattered heavy showers, and it's a struggle to find enough dry hours forecast to get as much bracken sprayed as I want - and some of the bracken has already started to turn due to the cool nights  :rant: .

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2015, 07:37:15 am »
Couldn't you just plow it over the winter? Would that get rid of it or would it make it worse, or Would it do nothing at all? the only problem for me this summer is the ragwort and flystrike. I had 5 get it, but I got them before it became serious. Am still on the lookout for odd behaviour.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2015, 11:57:53 am »
OH was mending a grain dryer yesterday, they were bringing it in at over 20%, they said it was better that than it being flattened by the wind/rain.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2015, 10:01:29 am »
Couldn't you just plow it over the winter? Would that get rid of it or would it make it worse, or Would it do nothing at all? the only problem for me this summer is the ragwort and flystrike. I had 5 get it, but I got them before it became serious. Am still on the lookout for odd behaviour.

plowing before winter and leaving the roots open to the frost does work but not for me alas, as the land's too steep to plow.

not had flystrike so far (phew!), but that may be the breed of sheep.

Sycamores are turning here now  :(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS