Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pygmys & foxes?  (Read 5151 times)

Thebarber

• Joined Jun 2015
Pygmys & foxes?
« on: August 26, 2015, 08:11:30 pm »
Hi, we've had a couple of pygmys for 2 wks now.
They're 14 wks old & settling in fine.
We also introduced a micro pig who is following them around like a shadow.
The 3 of them are locked in on a night but I'm wondering if I could make a fox proof perimeter for the winter nights so they can roam at will without any reasonable harm.
Any ideas or is this a no no ?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Pygmys & foxes?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 09:33:28 pm »
Eeehhhmmmm... :o  a pig with goats? Surely even a "micro" pig will outgrow the pygmies. Really bad idea of having them together. Take the pig out, get him/her a companion of her own kind.

Goats will do better if they come into a stable at night, and a fox and badger proof one at that (and dogs).

If you keep them together - how are you managing to feed them their goats/pig specific diet?

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 10:04:50 pm »
To add there's no such thing as a micro pig hope you never payed to much as am sure the micro will turn into a huge pig and pigs need pigs so you need at least 2

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 12:49:37 am »
Don't take offence by posts - one thing that most folks like is "like with like" - you have 2 pygmys = they will be happy but your pig - micro, small or whatever really should have a same species pall - that can be worked on :)

I keep pygmys and I do put them in at night - really as a point of routine - but as wee youngsters even though they are plucky I would rather keep them safe. I think the best bet is getting into a routine that suits you and your flock  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 05:51:49 am »
 :wave: hi

I securely enclose my pygmies at night,
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Thebarber

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 09:20:38 pm »
Forgot about this thread, they're getting on great.
We bought a 6 x 3 m poultry cage to put them in so they go to bed when they like.
We will be getting more of each next year ;)

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 09:34:36 pm »
i think what people are saying is…certain feeds can be very dangerous to other animals, if the goats ate what the pig gets fed..it could kill them

Thebarber

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 09:49:32 pm »
They all seem good but I'll check what the fees are.
Is there a list of what not to feed specific animals?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS