Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 'Cleaning' fields of worms  (Read 3701 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
'Cleaning' fields of worms
« on: August 25, 2015, 10:20:19 pm »
I'm sure I've seen this sort of question answered before - in fact I might have asked it!! I have 2 paddocks that I use for my sheep. I've been using them both - one in the daytime and a 'safer' one at night. But now I think one of them should be rested for a while. I wondered what the minimum time is for resting a paddock. I've only got 4 sheep and do regular FEC's and have never had a worm problem.  Thanks

4 pet sheep

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
Re: 'Cleaning' fields of worms
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 10:52:04 pm »
Hi, if you have no problem with worms I wouldn't worry. You obviously have limited grazing so unless you can close one off long enough for a cut of hay or allow something other than sheep to graze it I would carry on monitoring your FEC 's and chat to your get if and when you need to .I expect others will have other ideas  but good luck :wave:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 11:12:59 pm »
I agree with Melmarsh.  Your current regime is working for you.  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 09:27:38 am »
OK! Thank you for your replies! I'll keep on checking with FEC''s.
4 pet sheep

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 10:51:17 am »
Get some ducks.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 11:18:02 am »
Why?  ???
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 08:49:20 pm »
Ducks...ooh, that's interesting....can I tell my husband I need ducks to clear the paddocks for worms like I told him we needed to get some sheep as mowers...?  :roflanim:
Anything that costs you your peace is too expensive

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 09:14:58 pm »
I read the title and thought you meant earthworms.  ha  :roflanim:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 10:56:20 pm »
I could sort of see how ducks might eat mud snails and thus reduce the incidence of fluke, but I still can't figure out what they'd do for sheep worms.

They're great for getting rid of slugs too. The paddock the ducks are in is slug free, whilst all the others are full of them on a damp night like this.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 07:35:16 am »
You need chickens for livestock worms. Take a look at what Joel Salatin does with his rotations
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 07:42:41 am »
The chickens spread out the muck exposing the worms to sunlight ect but the majority of worm eggs and larvae are too small for chickens to find and it is far more likely the rotation and not the hens which keep his worm burdens down.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 08:14:19 am »
I'm with Melmarsh,

in order to say a pasture is "clean" for your sheep it would have been free of sheep for 2 seasons = 6 months. Grazing sheep with another type of livestock or alternating the livestock that you put on the pasture is seen to help with worm reduction as animals will ingest some of the worm burden but as the worms are host specific the worms do not complete their life cycle in a different species.

Poultry are considered beneficial for this but Buttermilk may have a point.

Low stocking densities also help as well as buying in sheep that have low worm counts and have been subject to worm monitoring. The system for sheep used to be to worm and move onto clean pasture and still is for many comercial farmers. But those of us who manage small flocks often juggle them about as you do and this coupled with current advice to worm less to aviod althalmic resistance makes this model impractical for smallholders.

If you bought clean sheep and you put them on clean pasture and you do FECs and you worm as instructed by your vet when needed and you do a post worm fec if you want to check for resistance....then you have got it covered.

If you really do want to rest half though I would suggest putting them in a small area from Oct to March and feeding hay to replace the grass. The grass slows down at about that time anyhow so you can rest it and turn out onto clean pasture in spring.

HTH

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS